Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.
Old 09-10-2015, 03:16 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Cooling System Guides
Print Wikipost

Stalling due to overheating?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 05:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Stalling due to overheating?

I've got a 99XJ w/4.0, this morning driving to the car pool, the jeep stalled at a stop sign. It started right up but seemed to lack in power. I popped the hood but it was raining and dark as hell so I couldn't see a thing. There was however the distinct smell of antifreeze and a bit of steam. So I just figured my coolant was low, and I'll fix it when I get home from work...

I get home and it starts right up, radiator is full. I let it run for 10 mins and go to drive it, and it cuts off. Now it won't start at all, and Im cranking ang cranking, nothing. Then just when I am about to give up, it starts and idles/revs normal, no smoke out the exhaust. Something strange I did notice was that my radiator was cool the entire time along with the upper hose, this makes me think the thermostat is stuck. So... my question is would this actually cause the car to stall like this?
Old 09-11-2009, 05:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by david84ss
I've got a 99XJ w/4.0, this morning driving to the car pool, the jeep stalled at a stop sign. It started right up but seemed to lack in power. I popped the hood but it was raining and dark as hell so I couldn't see a thing. There was however the distinct smell of antifreeze and a bit of steam. So I just figured my coolant was low, and I'll fix it when I get home from work...

I get home and it starts right up, radiator is full. I let it run for 10 mins and go to drive it, and it cuts off. Now it won't start at all, and Im cranking ang cranking, nothing. Then just when I am about to give up, it starts and idles/revs normal, no smoke out the exhaust. Something strange I did notice was that my radiator was cool the entire time along with the upper hose, this makes me think the thermostat is stuck. So... my question is would this actually cause the car to stall like this?
thermostat would be a good thing to replace first and water pump
Old 09-11-2009, 05:33 PM

sure if it gets hot enough.typically, if it stalls due to over heating its very bad. it certainly wont hurt to replace the t-stat, check that fan clutch too. if its going bad it will cause you to over heat while sitting still as well
Old 09-11-2009, 06:08 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2008 JKU (my XJ is long gone)
Engine: 3.8

I just had this happen to me as well. I replaced the thermostat and my new fan clutch came today. I just finished putting it on and I replaced the shroud as well cause it was all cracked and busted from prev owner. Now out for a good drive!
Old 09-12-2009, 12:42 PM

Update... I took off the thermostat housing, and removed the thermostat. With the radiator still full, I started the jeep expecting to see coolant spewing out of the hole, but I got nothing. This means that either the water pump is dead, or I've got a massive blockage, right?
Old 09-12-2009, 12:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by david84ss
Update... I took off the thermostat housing, and removed the thermostat. With the radiator still full, I started the jeep expecting to see coolant spewing out of the hole, but I got nothing. This means that either the water pump is dead, or I've got a massive blockage, right?
bad pump
Old 09-12-2009, 01:10 PM

Thank you sir, goodbye saturday, guess its off to the parts store
Old 09-12-2009, 02:43 PM

Wow, let me start off by saying: I am an idiot

Swapping the pump really wasn't that difficult, the hardest part is getting the fans off. Anyways as I was pulling the lower radiator hose off, I see a 3" gash in the bottom of the hose. I have no idea how long that was there, I have been letting my wife drive it for the last couple of weeks. I guess I'll have to ask her if she remembers the jeep running hot and spewing steam from under the hood...

No real steam for me cause the radiator was actually empty. When looking down the cap, a small amount was ponded there, so it looked like it was full. Anyways I have a new respect for that 4.0L, what other engine can get you where you're going bone dry!