Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Stalling and cutting out

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 02:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 H.O
Smile Stalling and cutting out

I've been having some problems with my '94 H.O 4.0 XJ... long story...

She'd run fine for days, weeks or even months then all of a sudden cut out when rolling to a set of traffic lights or even cough and sputter when flooring the throttle. It mostly happened when the Jeep had been running a long time (maybe after an hour).

Last week it died on me and would not go. She'd sometimes start but as soon as I moved she'd cut out. Eventually after she'd cooled down and I had been pulling at wires under the bonnet I got her going again and limped her home (about 2hrs later). I had the same problem about 12 months ago, again a tug of the wiring got it going.

I diagnosed as it being the CPS so I changed that today. The Jeep started and ran fine so I went round to the CPS connector and had a fiddle with the wiring there (CPS, vacuum pipes and wiring into the throttle body) then all of a sudden it cut out! Fiddled with the wiring again and couldn't get anything to happen, she'd spin the starter just like before but this time sounding like it would almost catch & start (occasional cough, splutter) but didn't actually run. Eventually I got a little pissed off, got in and cranked the starter with a bootful of gas and hey presto it coughed into life. Now it's running 100% (even after fiddling with the wiring again to try and get the same situation to repeat). I also fitted a new coil, distributor cap and rotor arm... again Jeep running fine.

What you think? I'm thinking that the CPS connection was a little crappy and that's maybe been the root of the problem (there's a lesson to be learnt here ) but I just wanted to see what the experts thought, maybe see if there's another problem I'm not thinking about (TPS maybe?) I really don't want to get stuck out on the road again... last time was on a blind bend with fast moving two way traffic

Last edited by Coog; 05-31-2012 at 03:00 PM.
Old 05-31-2012, 05:46 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1994 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Sounds to me like a bad connection if not at the CPS then at some junction of several wires. I had a hard to find electrical problem years ago which drove me crazy and no one could solve and it turned out to be a bad spot where 2 seperate sensor wires joined into one.