Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Squeaking when turning

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 09:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Squeaking when turning

I've been having a progressively louder, metallic squeaking sound coming from the front end of the car whenever I turn since I got my jeep about a month ago.

The PO said "I think the wheelbearings need to be greased" which sounded like total BS, but I figured the wheelbearings just needed to be replaced. I stripped the wheels down to the bearings and they seemed to be fine but pretty old and rusty, so I swapped them with new Timken ones...

Still squeaking. It's a very distinctly metallic squeak, and it slows down and speeds up with the speed of the wheels, so I'm pretty sure it's a bearing of some sort. It definitely only happens when I'm turning (on the highway, going around corners I don't hear it) at lower speeds. It's coming from both sides and I hear it when turning both directions.

What else could it be? U-joints? They look pretty old but don't have any play or anything. I wouldn't think they would make that sound anyway.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:26 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by infiniteuser
I've been having a progressively louder, metallic squeaking sound coming from the front end of the car whenever I turn since I got my jeep about a month ago.

The PO said "I think the wheelbearings need to be greased" which sounded like total BS, but I figured the wheelbearings just needed to be replaced. I stripped the wheels down to the bearings and they seemed to be fine but pretty old and rusty, so I swapped them with new Timken ones...

Still squeaking. It's a very distinctly metallic squeak, and it slows down and speeds up with the speed of the wheels, so I'm pretty sure it's a bearing of some sort. It definitely only happens when I'm turning (on the highway, going around corners I don't hear it) at lower speeds. It's coming from both sides and I hear it when turning both directions.

What else could it be? U-joints? They look pretty old but don't have any play or anything. I wouldn't think they would make that sound anyway.
you must have 2wd because four wheel drive doesnt have normal bearing , they have an entire hub assemble that needs to to be replaced , it could be something as simple as the dust sheild for the brakes they bend real easy ,or possably the squealer for the brakes ? , jack up your front and rotate your wheel , you be able get a better idea of exactly where its coming from

Last edited by DEVILSTOY; 11-30-2009 at 09:33 AM.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:40 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1988 limited
Engine: 4.0 litre

If it squeaks also when you are stopped, just by turning the steering wheel it might be the lower ball joints.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:43 AM
CF Veteran

Hmm that may be an whole another issue because a ball joint or even a tie rod end would not speed up or slow down with wheel speed
Old 11-30-2009, 09:46 AM
CF Veteran

Right on that, sorry didn't read that part.
But he says he replaced the bearings, what else could it be, front diff bearings if it's 4wd?
Old 11-30-2009, 09:49 AM

Yes I replaced the whole hub -it's 4wd. It definitely speeds up/slows down with the wheels and it doesn't happen if I turn the wheel and the car is sitting still.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:02 AM

I don't really hear it when the car is jacked up and I spin the wheel by hand. I got it to squeak a couple times, but not nearly as bad as when driving.

I checked out the dust shield and I can't see it contacting the rotor anywhere.

When turning, the squeal is the same whether I'm applying the brakes or not so I don't think it's the pads.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:03 AM
CF Veteran

It could be the front drive shaft. Try to remove it and test drive.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:13 AM

It could be axle or driveshaft u-joints.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:21 AM

It's pretty unlikely it's the driveshaft if it only happens when I'm turning though, right? I guess I'll replace the axle u-joints.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:24 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by alaskan
It could be axle or driveshaft u-joints.
its possable it could be a u joint but they dont usually squek to bad when going striaght , it might possably be a carrier bearing inside your front diff
Old 11-30-2009, 10:29 AM

I recently drained the front diff and spun it while I had it open, didn't hear anything. I hope it's not the carrier bearing.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by infiniteuser
I recently drained the front diff and spun it while I had it open, didn't hear anything. I hope it's not the carrier bearing.
That's the problem when chasing down squeaks, they often don't make a sound until they have a load on them. In other words, a bearing might be silent when you have it up on jack stands and then start screeching when it has 1500 lbs sitting on it.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:13 PM

Year: 95
Engine: stock

i had a squeak in my xj.. traced it down to front drive shaft.. took drive shaft off, theres like a rubber cover on shaft, i got as much grease as i could under the rubber..theres like a ball in there, gets dry.. someone will know the name of that part.. rock the jeep back and forth, thats how i found my squeak..travels down shaft when driving so hard to trace....havent had a squeak since...hope this helps, if not sorry for the long post........
Old 12-01-2009, 04:58 PM

One thing I forgot to mention that might be relevant...

I can hear a sort of hissing sound when I turn the steering wheel, which sounds like it's coming from inside the dash.

I forgot about it because, unlike the squeaking, you can't really hear it over the road noise/fan. Also if I turn the wheels when the car is off, I don't hear it. So I assume it's something to do with the power steering, but I don't know what it would be or if it's a problem.

Quick Reply: Squeaking when turning