Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Squeak and chirp but not belt

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2018, 08:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l
Default Squeak and chirp but not belt

I am getting a constant noise and squeak and i think its the pulley underneath the power steering pump. What is that called and can it go bad? I think it has a bearing but i cant lube it easily to figure out if it is or not. It made a very concerning whine and like metal on metal noise. I didnt think it was the power steering pump because i moved it around and the noise didnt change at all but after a few moments of idling it went away.
Old 03-03-2018, 11:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 333 Likes on 277 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

The pulley under the power steering pump pulley is the belt tensioner/idler pulley. Yes, it has a bearing, and like all bearings it wears out with age. My 97 needed a new one. It didnt squeak, but turning it by hand i could feel some roughness. If you are careful, you can sometimes pry the seal off one side and pack it with grease, and tap the seal back into place. I tried this on mine but tweaked the seal just enough that it wouldnt seal, so i had to buy a new pulley anyway.
Old 03-04-2018, 12:07 AM
CF Veteran

How do i go about replacing it? I had a hard time finding the part at the auto fart store
Old 03-04-2018, 01:00 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

I believe we are talking about this:

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NBG38042

Also might want to replace this:

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NDP6000635

Now there is a spacer behind the pulley which you probably don't need to replace but here is the part anyway:

https://www.moparpartsgiant.com/part...ort+4+Door+4WD)

Now here is the part I am a little confused about. See the diagram at the link above. They list the pulley and bearing as different part numbers. I would like to think that when you buy the pulley at Napa you get both those pieces. But makes me wonder.

https://www.moparpartsgiant.com/part...ort+4+Door+4WD)

By the way I believe the Napa pulley to be a rebranded Gates. I have been poking around about this cause I think I am going to replace all that this year.
Old 03-04-2018, 06:20 PM
CF Veteran

hmm so its held in with a bolt? Ok i thought it was pressed into a whole piece. Atleast i got the logistics of it. Btw is there any other idler pulleys i should be aware of or just that one? Because i hate my jeep sounding like a cheap jalopy now...... you know what that was a stupid question if it was pressed in because if it was how can you tighten the bolt up then? I kinda had to rush to get a new belt on a while back and couldnt analyze the system because you know changing a belt on the side of a freeway with people going 80 mph kinda puts you on end
Old 03-04-2018, 07:06 PM
CF Veteran

Also yes my jeep made it clear to change it asap i got in my driveway and as soon as i put it in park EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE AAAAHHHHHHHHHHH WHO WHAT WHERE WHY HOW *shuts jeep off*
Old 03-05-2018, 08:58 PM
CF Veteran

of course i was given the wrong pulley when i got off of work at 8:30 and of course the auto part store closes at 9 and of course i figure this out midway through the process and of course nothing else besides orilleys is open and OF COURSE they dont have the part and takes a week to order
Old 03-06-2018, 12:06 PM
CF Veteran

well the horrendous noise went away after i changed it but im still getting noises! i think my power steering pump bearing is shot too come on give me a break
Old 03-06-2018, 12:11 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

I get a front end squeak as well, mostly happens when I make turns- it sounds like that squeak your interior trim makes when its old and worn out. but I know that sounds coming from the front end. I have a brand new belt on my jeep, squeaks at start up and that's it
Old 03-06-2018, 01:45 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Nevermind.. I see you got the balancer changed.
Old 03-06-2018, 05:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 89

My thought as well, I chased a squeal and scrape for a while untill I realized my balancer pulley was seperating. It was touching the timing cover, so was the belt. All fixed now though.
Mark
Old 03-06-2018, 09:00 PM
CF Veteran

Well disaster I was on a 100 mile trip to meet up with someone and going into the motel the power steering pump was groaning and just looking now looks like it's leaking under the pump and leaks all the fluid out within minutes I gotta get back home any suggestions I got a new pump but no pulley tool around at all within 50 miles
Old 03-06-2018, 11:36 PM
CF Veteran

Received 374 Likes on 294 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Probably too late to help now but you can use a 3/8-16 bolt, some washers and suck a new pulley on by hand (with a wrench if course). Its not fun but it is possible
Old 03-07-2018, 11:30 AM
CF Veteran

Received 234 Likes on 207 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: I6 4.0L

Originally Posted by 5-Speed
Probably too late to help now but you can use a 3/8-16 bolt, some washers and suck a new pulley on by hand (with a wrench if course). Its not fun but it is possible
You lucky jerks in the southern parts of the country and your lack of rust! Up here you couldn't begin to deal with the pump until freeing the g-d hoses that are usually beyond frozen.

EEVEE - Did you get home alright bro?
Old 03-07-2018, 07:11 PM
CF Veteran

Home safe and sound there so happened to be an lkq around the corner! so i returned the pump and buzzed (rather grinded) there and yoinked a pump from a jeep with 87k miles! i seriously wanted to take that ac compressor too but i was on a time limit so with basically 50% of the work already done it was just unbolt the 3 bolts and zoom off with it (i can spend a good day in a junkyard....) So the lkq guys were like if you know what youre doing go for it so surgery began and opening the hood it was a crime scene of power steering fluid EVERYWHERE literally dripping from the hood, metal shavings everywhere and just utter chaos underneath so LUCKILY i brought my toolbox of many things and began removing stuff and replaced the power steering pump which wasnt as bad as i thought only speedbump i ran into was the return hose was frozen on the pump of both jeeps so a razor and a good slice on my finger later got them and got the new hose on but before i did i went to flush it because ya know metal shavings plus pump dont mix well and yeah guess who forgot to put the cap back on and got a face full of fluid. so all flushed and ready to go i hooked everything completely up and presto non leaking pump took it on a few turns and at first on quick turns it lags behind and is hard to turn but i think it fixed itself and upon closer inspection of my old pump i think the bearing blew up because there was a giant split on the bottom of the old pump but i got a core return and isnt my problem anymore so sailed to the auto parts store and got 2 cans of brake cleaner and doused everything i can and the results were shockingly impressive im gonna gunk it later and then zoop to the carwash for an undercarriage wash because now i think i got a coolant leak from the water pump. but the most part the ride was smooth sailing home with the first trip being annoying with a shoddy exhaust system and a falling muffler. alls well now. I knew it was bad when fluid spewed from the hood all over my windshield and was so hard to clean up somewhat but i guess i cant completely trust my jeep yet for road trips

Quick Reply: Squeak and chirp but not belt