Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Spring pack install

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 09:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Spring pack install

I'm new here, but really need some help or advice. I just got a Rusty's 4.5 spring pack kit for my XJ. Got the front done and everything went pretty good. I'm installing the sring packs in the rear and ran into a problem. The shackles are not matching up with the spring by about an inch. I got one on by pushing the shackle all the way forward and jacking up the spring pack against it to flatten it some and was able to get the bolt through. The problem I see, other than this was a wrestling match, is now the shackle is against the mounting bracket. I think once I get some weight on it, the shackle will come down some but it doesn't look right at all. Is this normal with new spring pack and will it settle and hang right. Thanks for any help you can give. ?
Old 02-18-2010, 09:23 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 liter RENIX I-6, DIY Cold Air Intake, 2.5 FM Exhaust, 3 Core Radiator

Clint I have the Rusty's 4.5 inch full spring pack kit on my XJ for about 4 years now and you are right on all accounts. Those springs are stiff as heck when you get them new. You do have to wrestle them like an alligator to get them on...and yes get all of the tools, parts and gear you typically carry with you 4wheeling and start driving it around like that and they do break in and settle a bit. I have a rear tire carrier with full size 33" tire and two rubber-made container in the back of my XJ full of tools, spare parts and recovery gear. It took the springs awhile...quite honestly almost a years and they did break in and they flex and ride AWESOME now. I'll tell you one other thing you're going to see just to prepare you for it. The rear of your Jeep will be higher than the front when you first get the lift kit installed. Because the front Rusty's coils are as soft as the rear leafs are stiff. Bear with it. You will have a great riding and flexing suspension system in the end, bro. Feel free to PM me with any questions you have about this lift kit. Oh, one other thing. If you do 4wheel a lot and mid core to hardcore, you will break the threaded rod end on your Rusty's track bar. Donnot order a new one from them. The rod end on your tracj bar is indentical to the OEM tierod ends on the steering tierod. Just go buy one at your local parts store and save the shipping.