Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Sport or Classic?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 12:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Sport or Classic?

I have been looking at the two models that are listed as the topic of this thread. I am leaning towards the Classic since my buddy has one and I love it. But I like to have options. So I am just curious whats everyone else's opinion is on these two jeeps?
Old 03-10-2009, 12:06 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0l

You're only looking at a difference in trim package and maybe some creature comfort differences. Either one is a good choice. Go with the one in better overall shape and with the least mileage, best value.
Old 03-10-2009, 04:48 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 I6 HO

thats really true. go with the one that is in better condition. if they are really close, go with the classic if you want comfort. i have a 2000 and i love everything about it. mine came stock with the amped infinity sound system and the np242 t-case which i love and the chrysler 8.25 rearend. the stock rims are also nicer but mine are long gone. if you want something that you dont care about the interior (no offense to anyone) go with the sport. its more basic and for me i wouldn't feel as bad if i messed it up. plus its probably got the np231 t-case which is good but i like the F/T option cause here in ohio, it can be 65 degrees and sunny but in 3 hours, there will be inches of snow falling...
Old 03-10-2009, 04:55 PM

Location: Holland Landing, Ontario, Canada (North of Toronto)
Year: 1996
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L Inline 6 Cylinder

I've had a Sport and a Classic and i much prefer the Classic. Both a great vehicles but my classic came with power windows, power locks, and power mirrors and some other stuff that the Sport didnt have. Just a couple little conveniences.. call me soft but they make life easier :P

But neither is a bad choice.. their both Jeep XJ's
Old 03-10-2009, 04:58 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0l

My 99 Sport has power windows, door locks, power mirrors, AND a really awesome am/fm CASSETTE player!!!
Old 03-10-2009, 05:23 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L High Output

My 95 sport also has power windows, doorlocks, and keyless entry. No power mirrors though. I love the look of the classic, with the monochromatic paint sceme. I like how clean they look. But the very basic nature of the sport has it's own benifits, and all the black plastic on the exterior look tougher than the clean lines of the classic. They are both great trucks, you can't really make a bad decision on this one...
Old 03-10-2009, 05:28 PM

Year: 2005
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 3.7

Just go with your gut feeling on which one your feeling more.
Old 03-10-2009, 05:54 PM
Seasoned Member

Engine: 4.0 I6 HO

Originally Posted by funkle95xj
I love the look of the classic, with the monochromatic paint sceme. I like how clean they look. But the very basic nature of the sport has it's own benifits, and all the black plastic on the exterior look tougher than the clean lines of the classic.
i do like the monochromatic for stock xjs and the black plastic does make it look tougher, but for an even tougher look, i rhino lined my monochromatic bumpers, front and back.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:40 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by boardmanXJ
thats really true. go with the one that is in better condition. if they are really close, go with the classic if you want comfort. i have a 2000 and i love everything about it. mine came stock with the amped infinity sound system and the np242 t-case which i love and the chrysler 8.25 rearend. the stock rims are also nicer but mine are long gone. if you want something that you dont care about the interior (no offense to anyone) go with the sport. its more basic and for me i wouldn't feel as bad if i messed it up. plus its probably got the np231 t-case which is good but i like the F/T option cause here in ohio, it can be 65 degrees and sunny but in 3 hours, there will be inches of snow falling...
My Sport has a 242...

Originally Posted by Jesse James
I've had a Sport and a Classic and i much prefer the Classic. Both a great vehicles but my classic came with power windows, power locks, and power mirrors and some other stuff that the Sport didnt have. Just a couple little conveniences.. call me soft but they make life easier :P

But neither is a bad choice.. their both Jeep XJ's
My Sport has power windows, locks, and mirrors...

The difference between the two models is so slim. It is basically a few exterior appearance things, and the interior comes with a better sound system, along with options for leather and such. In the end, just pick whatever is the better deal for the better price.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0

Im old school i guess I really dont like all the power options in vehicles. all that is is one more thing to go wrong over time. Which is why I like my plain no power anything 88 sport.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:21 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L

I liked that my Classic didn't have black bumper endcaps. They're green, the same color as the car, gives it a cleaner appearance. I also like the darker grey wheels it came with.
Old 01-24-2010, 01:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by c-loss
Im old school i guess I really dont like all the power options in vehicles. all that is is one more thing to go wrong over time. Which is why I like my plain no power anything 88 sport.
Right on!! thats why i will NEVER get a GRAND CHEROKEE.. to many goddies and gadgets on the jeep that can break or malfunction..
The following users liked this post:
Robert Ottavio (03-26-2020)
Old 01-24-2010, 01:36 PM
Seasoned Member

Engine: 4.0 litre

Well both are great choices to xj's My friends has a sport and i have a classic. both are good its just as everyone else has been saying the packages are the main differences. also on the classic the trim and bumpers are the same color as the car which is nice.
Old 01-24-2010, 03:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0

Didn't ask me, I have a limited!
Old 01-24-2010, 04:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by JJaycXj
Well both are great choices to xj's My friends has a sport and i have a classic. both are good its just as everyone else has been saying the packages are the main differences. also on the classic the trim and bumpers are the same color as the car which is nice.
I have seen a few sports with body color trim and bumpers

Quick Reply: Sport or Classic?