Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Speedometer not functioning

Old 06-21-2017, 10:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0
Default Speedometer not functioning

1993 XJ 4.0 ax15 np231, speedometer does not function properly, usually it does not read at all, the other day I took the jeep out on the main road for the first time and got up to around 50-65 mph and the speedo sat steady at 70ish then it started flying all around the gauge, after more driving and some dirt roads it started to function properly, or at least appeared to. Yesterday it was not working accurately so I took the dash apart (after reading about how people fixed theirs) and tightened down the ground screws on the back of the gauge cluster, nothing still. Today I swapped the speed sensor (on the transfer case tail housing) with the one off of my 96(4.0 aw4 np231) that has a functioning speedometer. I swapped the gears on the sensors and inspected them, the speedo still doesn't work on the 93 but still works on the 96 (with the sensors swapped). Any other ideas? All the wiring that I could see looked intact. Side note: the gear attached to the 93's speed sensor was much smaller in diameter than the 96, I figured this was due to the different gearing in the transmissions, could it be the wrong gear?
Old 06-21-2017, 02:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by kyle96xj
1993 XJ 4.0 ax15 np231, speedometer does not function properly, usually it does not read at all, the other day I took the jeep out on the main road for the first time and got up to around 50-65 mph and the speedo sat steady at 70ish then it started flying all around the gauge, after more driving and some dirt roads it started to function properly, or at least appeared to. Yesterday it was not working accurately so I took the dash apart (after reading about how people fixed theirs) and tightened down the ground screws on the back of the gauge cluster, nothing still. Today I swapped the speed sensor (on the transfer case tail housing) with the one off of my 96(4.0 aw4 np231) that has a functioning speedometer. I swapped the gears on the sensors and inspected them, the speedo still doesn't work on the 93 but still works on the 96 (with the sensors swapped). Any other ideas? All the wiring that I could see looked intact. Side note: the gear attached to the 93's speed sensor was much smaller in diameter than the 96, I figured this was due to the different gearing in the transmissions, could it be the wrong gear?
I have a 93 Cherokee Sport and i had the same issue with mine. Cluster jumping all over and often quit working while in the middle of driving? Or if you hit a bump that would cause it to jump as well correct? The problem with mine was the ground. If you search the forum you can find a few posts with the schematic for all the grounds and you can work through and test yours out. That's how i got mine back to working condition. Simple fix some sand paper and a nut driver to get behind the ground connection. I will search and add the schematic link soon.

Edit: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/2...uster-1298777/ There is one link that could help out. Will continue to look for more.

Last edited by JeepRunner5; 06-21-2017 at 02:36 PM.
Old 06-21-2017, 03:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by JeepRunner5
I have a 93 Cherokee Sport and i had the same issue with mine. Cluster jumping all over and often quit working while in the middle of driving? Or if you hit a bump that would cause it to jump as well correct? The problem with mine was the ground. If you search the forum you can find a few posts with the schematic for all the grounds and you can work through and test yours out. That's how i got mine back to working condition. Simple fix some sand paper and a nut driver to get behind the ground connection. I will search and add the schematic link soon.

Edit: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/2...uster-1298777/ There is one link that could help out. Will continue to look for more.
I'll definitely take a shot at those grounds, thanks for the link