Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Speaker Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 12:06 AM
CF Veteran

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l
Default Speaker Question

Hello. I have had some kicker 6.5 speakers in my front doors and for what they are they were decent. but i been thinking about upgrading and i noticed the factory speaker hole goes like over half the speaker and the door panel doesnt sit flush with the door. what kinda design is that?! anyways would i just be better off making a hole for the speakers as i had the guards for the kickers but i didnt put them on because the door panel wouldnt fit whatsoever with it on so if i did say make a hole for the speaker how would i make it? btw its a 99 cherokee sport. i was thinking about getting those rockford fosgate 6.5 speakers as replacements as they dont use as much power and sound quite good for their price range. meanwhile my kickers distort after 30 notches as opposed to 45 and i love my music lol so it matters.
Old 04-26-2017, 12:27 AM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: '98
Engine: 4.0 I6

I have seen people use an MDF Spacer ring with deeper speakers, and actually screw the speaker on over the door panel
You of course would need to cut out the factory speaker grill and use the one that comes with the speaker.

Like this;