Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Sparks comming from stearing collum/ignition?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 07:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Sparks comming from stearing collum/ignition?

So This weekend my jeep decided to quit..It wouldn't start and it ran itself out of oil (oil light/temp. gauge never came on)..I did an oil change about a month ago and there was no oil on the motor anywhere..Well when i was looking underneath it sunday night, everything is covered in oil..I also killed my started and let it be know i had a broken motor mount and the bolts broke off in the block..

So i fabricated a homemade motor mount that i welded onto the frame and bolted into the alternator. 1st problem fixed.Replaced the starter as it was bad..Came to find out that a wire running off the starter got pinched or something cause it had fried my old starter and battery..So i replaced the battery and it started right up, and running like a champ..

So i went to leave for work this morning and made it not even 700feet before sparks flew out from somewhere by where my key goes and it stalled.Had to tow it home with my mom's explorer..So i got a ride to work and when i got home it started right up and i pulled it up into the garage and shut it off. Went inside for not even 2 minutes and came back out to start it to find it won't start..I have power for all my accessories but no crank what so ever..

Does anyone know who it would spark or what the problem is? Idk if I fried the new starter or what..I checked the battery and it has a full charge.

The reason i know it came from either the ignition or steering colum is because i currently don't have the plastic on it that goes around it. At this point im confused.. Its a 1995 jeep cherokee 4x4 4dr I6 4.0 with approx. 175k miles..

any help would be appreciated
Old 10-06-2010, 07:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.o

Originally Posted by Shoremen
So This weekend my jeep decided to quit..It wouldn't start and it ran itself out of oil (oil light/temp. gauge never came on)..I did an oil change about a month ago and there was no oil on the motor anywhere..
Im lost for words at no oil came out. So you actually ran it with no oil in it. ? How long? I would check the sending unit or bulb or something. the sending unit may be bad. sounds like you got a short in the colum to hunt down.