Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

sound bar support bracket assistance

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 08:45 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default sound bar support bracket assistance

My Jeep had its sound bar removed by PO. I found a replacement. My support bracket in the middle isn't glued up to the roof, but is still attached.

Any recommendations on what kind of adhesive to use to get it reattached?
Old 04-30-2012, 12:08 PM

Just wanted to report my results. First I tried ordinary dollar store 2 part epoxy. It did not work beyond a day. The hard part was trying to get the mixed epoxy over my head and onto the top of the bracket. If I'd had the headliner out and put the bracket in place with the epoxy on it already, it may have worked better.

So I was torn between trying JB Weld and Amazing Goop next. I figured the JB Weld would work better, but again it's a 2 part epoxy that I'd have to mix and get it in place over my head. So I went for a tube of Amazing Goop (purchased at Dollar General for cheap) since it's already mixed in the tube and all I'd have to do is squirt it out onto top side of the bracket.

I used nearly the entire tube of Amazing Goop on the bracket, let it sit a few minutes, then lightly pressed and released the bracket against the roof as the instructions indicated. Then after a few more minutes, I firmly pressed the bracket against the roof, then used a long board and some scrap wood from the floor of the hatch area to the sound bar bracket to clamp the bracket against the roof. I left the windows cracked and walked away from the Jeep for 4 full days.

Once I was confident the glue had cured, I removed the board and scrap wood press. It was good. I secured the sound bar to the bracket with 2 #8 1.5"-ish coarse threaded screws. The screws can't be too long or they won't work, and they can't be too short or they won't go through the bar into the bracket. A 1" screw is far too short. I'm not sure if the screws will hold or work themselves loose. If they come out, I'll use some silicone or a light thread locker on the screws.

It's been a few weeks now and the bracket is holding. I have heard where others have used double sided 3M tape with success as well.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Engine: HO4.0 I6

Originally Posted by snakeyez
Just wanted to report my results. First I tried ordinary dollar store 2 part epoxy. It did not work beyond a day. The hard part was trying to get the mixed epoxy over my head and onto the top of the bracket. If I'd had the headliner out and put the bracket in place with the epoxy on it already, it may have worked better.

So I was torn between trying JB Weld and Amazing Goop next. I figured the JB Weld would work better, but again it's a 2 part epoxy that I'd have to mix and get it in place over my head. So I went for a tube of Amazing Goop (purchased at Dollar General for cheap) since it's already mixed in the tube and all I'd have to do is squirt it out onto top side of the bracket.

I used nearly the entire tube of Amazing Goop on the bracket, let it sit a few minutes, then lightly pressed and released the bracket against the roof as the instructions indicated. Then after a few more minutes, I firmly pressed the bracket against the roof, then used a long board and some scrap wood from the floor of the hatch area to the sound bar bracket to clamp the bracket against the roof. I left the windows cracked and walked away from the Jeep for 4 full days.

Once I was confident the glue had cured, I removed the board and scrap wood press. It was good. I secured the sound bar to the bracket with 2 #8 1.5"-ish coarse threaded screws. The screws can't be too long or they won't work, and they can't be too short or they won't go through the bar into the bracket. A 1" screw is far too short. I'm not sure if the screws will hold or work themselves loose. If they come out, I'll use some silicone or a light thread locker on the screws.

It's been a few weeks now and the bracket is holding. I have heard where others have used double sided 3M tape with success as well.

Nice to know. I am in the same situation, and i had given up on it long ago but I'll have to try this out. I'm sure you did this already when doing yours, but How did you go about cleaning off that glue foam stuff that had originally held the bar to the roof?
Old 04-30-2012, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by xj guy
Nice to know. I am in the same situation, and i had given up on it long ago but I'll have to try this out. I'm sure you did this already when doing yours, but How did you go about cleaning off that glue foam stuff that had originally held the bar to the roof?
I didn't get it off. It was on really really good. And there wasn't a whole lot there that I could see. I figured it was textured in such a way that maybe the glue would bond to it and maybe help hold it all together.