Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Sorry, need help

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 02:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Sorry, need help

Yes, I am new here, and just purchased a 95 Cherokee Sport 4.0. Thing is, blinkers dont work.

Hazards work, so bulbs are fine. I think its the fuse box, because there's no clicking when you hit it. My owners manual wont help, because it's got everything in the wrong place.

I found the hazards fuse under the dash on the floor by the steering column. my guess would be that the turn signal box would be here too. Would I be right? And in that case, since only that and 1 other fuse is there, I'd just need a fuse and it should work, correct?

Sorry, been awhile since I worked on anything since a fullsize chevy (although I do have a cj-7 project waiting for me this summer).

Thanks for any help!
Old 04-23-2009, 02:19 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

well i would pull the bulb and test to see if there is current going to the wires. you will need a test light or multi meter for this. have you checked under the hood for the fuses there to see if any are out
Old 04-23-2009, 02:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0 liter RENIX I-6, DIY Cold Air Intake, 2.5 FM Exhaust, 3 Core Radiator

You're on the right track. It sounds like the turn signal fuse or the turn signal flasher is bad, to me.
Old 04-23-2009, 02:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What do you mean "that and only 1 other fuse is there"? Are you saying that the fuse panel only has 2 fuses in it?
Old 04-23-2009, 02:27 PM

you should have two relays (could be yellow, light blue, black, or silver and round on the corners of the fuse box usually) one is for turn, the other is for flashers. simply test. switch them. i dont recall them using a fuse in the blinker/flasher circuits.
Old 04-23-2009, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by a1racer
well i would pull the bulb and test to see if there is current going to the wires. you will need a test light or multi meter for this. have you checked under the hood for the fuses there to see if any are out
well if it were the bulbs, my hazards wouldnt work, would they?

Originally Posted by BuckB91XJ
You're on the right track. It sounds like the turn signal fuse or the turn signal flasher is bad, to me.
Sweet, atleast its not just me!

Originally Posted by winston427
What do you mean "that and only 1 other fuse is there"? Are you saying that the fuse panel only has 2 fuses in it?
well, I found 3 fuse panels

1 under the hood
1 beside the brake pedal
1 beside the steering column under the dash, hidden the most out of all of them. this one has only 2 boxed fuse-like deals in it.
Old 04-23-2009, 02:43 PM

look in the fuse box to the left of the brake. in the top left corner of the box there is a round relay, this is the turn signal relay. in the lower right corner is another round relay. this is the flasher relay. they should both have two blades on them switch places with them. if one of them is bad, m your problem will change to no flashers but now you should have blinkers. it cost like three bucks at the parts store.
Old 04-23-2009, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Throttle Jockey
you should have two relays (could be yellow, light blue, black, or silver and round on the corners of the fuse box usually) one is for turn, the other is for flashers. simply test. switch them. i dont recall them using a fuse in the blinker/flasher circuits.
if you mean the round ones on this board

the round ones there are dummy plugs.
My hazards are on the board under the plastics, you have to lay on your back by the pedals to see it. the box for hazards is light blue and slightly rectangular, and wont fit anywhere else on its own board except 1 spot, but it's super loose and falls out of it
Old 04-23-2009, 02:45 PM

oh, and on mine, the circle beside #8 is actually a square
Old 04-23-2009, 02:49 PM

same part just different shape. i found the same diagram. for your year. looks a bit different but basiclly the same.
Old 04-23-2009, 02:53 PM

both of the circuits (flasher/blinker) use the same type of flasher relay. all it does is store a 12VDC charge in a capacitor and release the current at a roughly 1 sec intervals.
Old 04-23-2009, 03:00 PM

well what I'm thinking is, my hazards are in a totally dif spot than that diagram. and if you feel behind those terminals they're empty, no wires to the back

thats what makes me think its on the board under the dash with my hazards fuse
Old 04-23-2009, 03:38 PM
RCB

Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0

Make sure to check all of your bulbs. I had the same thing happen, but what had happened is the filament in one of the bulbs had fused. The light would come on, but no blinking and the hazards would work, since the filaments would light up. The bulb won't be black either, all you will be able to see is that one of those tiny wires has fallen across another post.

Just saying you might want to double check. Had me baffled for about a month on mine, tore my dash apart, bought new relays, etc...

Could save you about fifty bucks and a ton of time.
Old 04-23-2009, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by RCB
Make sure to check all of your bulbs. I had the same thing happen, but what had happened is the filament in one of the bulbs had fused. The light would come on, but no blinking and the hazards would work, since the filaments would light up. The bulb won't be black either, all you will be able to see is that one of those tiny wires has fallen across another post.

Just saying you might want to double check. Had me baffled for about a month on mine, tore my dash apart, bought new relays, etc...

Could save you about fifty bucks and a ton of time.
wow
I'll definitely look into that
if I turn the blinkers on, even if they dont actually flash, shouldnt I hear the standard clicking? cause I dont
thats how I found my hazards fuse, through the trademark click
and thats what makes me think it's the flasher
Old 04-23-2009, 08:52 PM

sounds like your on the right track. now all you have to do is track down the flasher for the blinkers