Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Something is backwards

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 10:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 Straight 6 HO
Default Something is backwards

These may be completely unrelated but figured I should ask...

My aux port and my cigarette lighter must be wired backwards. The reason I say this is because I have to use a cellphone booster for work. The booster draws power from the cig port, and it is run by a switch so that power can be turned on and off as needed. My booster will only work when the switch is turned off. I also noticed that cell phone chargers and other things of that nature don't work worth a damn in my aux power ports.

The second thing that is fishy is that my Aux Fan only works from 0-200 degrees. It will turn itself off between 180-200 and will not turn back on till it cools down again. I am planning on changing the Temp sensor very soon along with the thermostat (because I have one that I bought for my last Cherokee and never used before it was totaled).

Could these two things be related? Even if they're not, could someone help me out with the Aux Power Port problem?

1998 XJ 4.0 4x4 Classic

Last edited by CherokeePride; 05-21-2014 at 10:48 AM. Reason: Did not include year/make/model
Old 05-21-2014, 12:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by CherokeePride
These may be completely unrelated but figured I should ask...

My aux port and my cigarette lighter must be wired backwards. The reason I say this is because I have to use a cellphone booster for work. The booster draws power from the cig port, and it is run by a switch so that power can be turned on and off as needed. My booster will only work when the switch is turned off. I also noticed that cell phone chargers and other things of that nature don't work worth a damn in my aux power ports.

The second thing that is fishy is that my Aux Fan only works from 0-200 degrees. It will turn itself off between 180-200 and will not turn back on till it cools down again. I am planning on changing the Temp sensor very soon along with the thermostat (because I have one that I bought for my last Cherokee and never used before it was totaled).

Could these two things be related? Even if they're not, could someone help me out with the Aux Power Port problem?

1998 XJ 4.0 4x4 Classic
I take it when you say "Aux Port", you mean Power Outlet.

People used to smoke cigars so the cigarette lighter is called a 'Cigar Lighter'.

The Cigar Lighter outlet is powered through a relay. The relay control coil will pull in the power contacts in when the ignition switch is in the ACC or RUN position. The power contacts in the relay are powered from the battery bus, through fuse #2 in the JB.

The Power Outlet is powered directly off the battery bus through fuse #1 in the JB. The Power Outlet will be powered when the ignition switch is OFF.

If the Cigar Outlet has a switch to turn it on (other than the ignition switch) it was installed by a previous owner (?), and is not the factory wiring. Why your booster will only work when this switch is turned off is beyond my comprehension.

The Power Outlet and the Cigar Lighter outlets have different receptacle configurations. I have heard by other folks that their chargers won't work in the Power Outlet but will in the Cigar Lighter outlet. Because of their charger plug configuration no doubt.

The connectors on the back of the two outlets cannot be switched due to their shapes.

I'd have to give your Aux Fan problem some thought.
Old 05-21-2014, 12:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Aux Fan issue.

I've read several of your other posts and it looks like someone has really jacked up your electrical systems.

Verify that a switch hasn't been installed to manually turn the fan on and off. This is a mod people do when they off road alot or are just too lazy to fix a fan problem, or are too ignorant to know when the fan should engage when the coolant temp gets too high or how the fan works with the AC system.

For coolant overtemp, the fan should turn on when the temp reaches 223*F.

Do this check to see if the coolant temp gauge works properly:

Instrument Cluster Actuator Test

(1) Begin the test with the ignition switch in the Off position.

(2) Depress the trip odometer reset button.

(3) While holding the trip odometer reset button depressed, turn the ignition switch to the On (RUN) position, but do not start the engine.

(4) Release the trip odometer reset button.

(5) The gauges should cycle through their ranges, stopping at intermediate readings, going up and going down, at two second intervals. The indicator lamps should cycle on and off.

(6) The instrument cluster will automatically exit the self-diagnostic mode and return to normal operation at the completion of the test, if the ignition switch is turned to the Off position during the test, or if a vehicle speed message indicating that the vehicle is moving is received from the PCM on the CCD data bus during the test.

Do this test to see if the PCM is reacting to an overtemp situation and turns the fan on: