Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

someone tell me whats going on pls

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 05:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995,1990,2003
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default someone tell me whats going on pls

I have a 2000 jeep grand cherokee and when it gets to 210 it shuts off and 30 sec later it will start again. I have replaced sensors and fans and it still does it.
Old 08-08-2011, 05:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

I have a 2000 jeep grand cherokee and when

Ouppps ! Sorry, I didn't see the GRAND part until now ! Sorry for you, but there is still hope.

You might want to look at the "crank position sensor". It would be my first choice instead of leaving it to last.
Old 08-08-2011, 05:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.6 Re-Built Golen, 68-200-4 Comp Cam

Originally Posted by orangehatch
I have a 2000 jeep grand cherokee and when it gets to 210 it shuts off and 30 sec later it will start again. I have replaced sensors and fans and it still does it.

Can you be more specific about the sensors you have replaced. ? Also, what BRAND of sensor did you buy (for the sensors you have replaced).

That can be more important than the replacing of the sensors themselves since you could have actually swapped a working sensor for a cheap brand that 4 out of ten times are dead right out of the box. How do you know? You don't know until you test the sensor per the FSM. So don't buy parts unless OBD tells you to.

Note: Don't ever replace anything without scanning for codes. It's pointless and logically (and financially) unwise. Not all parts you buy at the parts store work right out of the box, possibly increasing the amount of time you spend trying to figure out a problem.. because now instead of it shutting off at 210, it doesn't even crank from cold because the crank position sensor you bought from Autozone by BWD was dead right out of the box.

I've heard tell of crank position sensor causing a vehicle to shut off after getting hot. How hot? I can only speculate operating temperature, and 210 is right at the operating temperature. This seems like the most viable thing to me based off of what I have read (myself, someone else may know exactly what it is and not be anything similar to what I am saying here) about no starts and cool-off restarting.

Outside of that... I don't know what your problem could be. Other than you have a 2000 and I have read that they have problems with not cranking after you shut them off when they have reached operating temperature, and that is due to "coil packs" style of ignition being affected by the heat. Dealerships were supposed to install heat shields for them to stop that problem.

However, the symptoms from them give them a longer period between restarts. I think it was closer to 10 minutes? I know it was more than 30 seconds. After stopping for gas and going inside to get something at the local corner store, they wouldn't be able to start it for a while.

Yours shuts off at 210 in mid operation and starts up 30 seconds later though. Completely different.

Last edited by CoffeeCommando; 08-08-2011 at 05:32 PM.