Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Some Quick (hopefully) Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 12:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Some Quick (hopefully) Questions

Alright, I have an 89 Jeep Cherokee 4.0L 4WD. It has been leaking. I took it into a shop to have it visually inspected and they gave a whole list of things that are leaking... how many actually are leaking and how severe they are... i have no clue. Anwyays, the list included the gear box, power steering pump, front engine seal(s?), valve cover gasket, and the rear main seal. I want to know how easy this is to repair. I'm probably going to do this in steps because it is all a little pricey. Well, not really... but I don't have all the time in the world. I want to start out with the power steering pump. Totally replace the whole thing because it seems like its the worse out of all the leaks (I have to top off every couple weeks). Are there any tips at all about any of the mechanical work...? Oh, and where exactly are the engine front seals? And how do I get to them with my Jeep?

Any tips at all are greatly appreciated.
Old 02-21-2010, 12:54 PM
"CF Moderator"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: l6 HO

First..., Hi and welcome to CF from Tj in NJ. Now to the questions.You can do all the work yourself with a Factory Service Manual (Check your PM's)I would start with the valve cover before the rear seal because the leak in the back of the VC can make it look like its the RMS.The front seal is under the front of the oil pan, if your gonna do the front you should do the rear also while its open...Tj
Old 02-21-2010, 01:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

X2 on Tj's above post. And the power steering leak might actually be just the lines leaking. Spray the pump and lines down good with brake kleen and watch it to verify where it's actually leaking from. There's a dye for the same purpose. JMO
And Welcome to CF!
Dan
Old 02-21-2010, 02:51 PM

Thank you! Sooooo much. I'm stressin because my stupid HOA is trying to tell me they will tow the car. And right now, it's our only vehicle. I appreciate these things a lot. I was told that I might need to pull the engine? Is that really necessary? or is the person that told me just smoking crack? lol. My girlfriend and I replaced the harmonic balancer last month without taking out the radiator... So, we can work in tight, small places. And we aren't afraid to get dirty (sorry if it's starting to sound like a ****! lol). Id rather spend the 250-300 on parts and do it myself then spend 1000-3000 in a shop or hiring someone to do it.
Old 02-21-2010, 04:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 I6

if they called it a front engine seal, you might want to have another shop look at it.

if you changed the balancer then i think you can do the stuff you have leaking. just get the manual and check it out.

then when you are done, forward a copy to me because i need it aslo
Old 02-22-2010, 03:19 AM

hahahahahaha that's probably why I can't find the effin part. lol. I think I will have it looked at again tomorrow with a different shop. This wonderful person from here gave me service manual for an 88 and he told me that they are pretty standard in that year range... so, I do have a copy of the 88 manual. PM me and we can exchange emails and I'll send it to you.