Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Smoke and smell problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 06:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Smoke and smell problem

Bought a project first car for my teen. 2001 Cherokee Sport 6 cyl. He loves the beater and we got it running and registered this week. It had sat for about 4 months before we bought it and then it sat in our driveway for a year. Occasional starting and moving to different parts of the driveway. The last few times we ran it...an now that it is on the road...an issue has popped up.

The engine had a lot of grease and oil on it (in case this helps). There is smoke and a burning smell coming from where the exhaust pipe connects to the manifold. My neighbor, who is a backyard mechanic believes that oil has seeps into the gasket on that connection and it is burning off. I just am trying to be sure it is safe. It looks like original pipe so you can imagine the rust. Really hoping not to have to take it apart as that will turn into a major project.

Am just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this?
Old 08-25-2017, 07:46 PM
CF Veteran

Received 298 Likes on 253 Posts
Year: '96

The exhaust manifolds are known for cracking in the area you talking about. Also sounds like you need to be resolving oil leaks.

Crusier54:
Valve cover gasket, oil pressure sending unit, oil filter adapter seals and distributor gasket, in that order, have to be eliminated as possibilities first.
Old 08-25-2017, 08:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0l

Sounds like you have a leaky valve cover gasket.
Old 08-26-2017, 07:38 AM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Yep. Deal with the oil leaks first, and I'm with EEVEE, that's probably valve cover. That's not a bad job, and the gasket is not expensive. Fel-Pro is highly recommended.