Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Smoke/Burning Oil

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2016, 11:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Smoke/Burning Oil

Hey guys,

So I bought a 93 XJ a few weeks back and slowly started to notice smoke when I let it idle, like at a drive thru or in my driveway. Decided to check the oil and noticed that it burned 2 quarts in about 3 weeks.

I know that I have a valve cover gasket leak so I will be changing that today, and I think my CCV system is clogged because I see oil on my air filter, but I don't think that would account for that much oil loss. Did a wet and dry compression test and have 150 across all cylinders. I have read that it could possibly be valve stem seals/guides. Is there a way to visually verify this when I have the valve cover off? Any other suggestions as to what I should look for?

First post btw, but been reading your forum since I got my first Jeep a few weeks ago and you guys seem super helpful
Old 10-22-2016, 11:23 AM
Herp Derp Jerp

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

Welcome to Cherokee Forum!

A valve stem leak is possible but the clogged CCV route is much more likely the cause. Especially since you have oil on the air filter. You should replace the plastic elbows on the valve cover, as they're very brittle, but the rest can be pulled off and cleaned out if they are not cracked. There's a fitting in the intake manifold too.
Old 10-22-2016, 11:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

About a week ago I pulled the plastic elbows out and they seemed clear, but I did notice some gunk on the base of them and in the hole in the valve cover. Is there a channel that can get clogged on the inside of the valve cover? I will end up pulling the connection on the intake manifold as well to check for a clog.
Old 10-22-2016, 02:36 PM
No, I don't lick fish.

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by elftech
About a week ago I pulled the plastic elbows out and they seemed clear, but I did notice some gunk on the base of them and in the hole in the valve cover. Is there a channel that can get clogged on the inside of the valve cover? I will end up pulling the connection on the intake manifold as well to check for a clog.
Yes. Pull the valve cover off and inspect the triangular-shaped flukes. While you're at it, check out http://cruiser54.com/?p=131 for a mod that will stop oil from reeking havoc on your filter.

If it's just a little smoke, this should fix it. If your jeep looks like it's trying to be a "cool" kid blowing a cloud on a vape pen... replace your valve stem seals.