Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slight problem

Old 05-01-2009, 03:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Slight problem

Hello, I have a slight problem with my jeep I don't really want to retype all of it as I'm tired because it's 4 am.. but yeah, I asked it on yahoo answers earlier today:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...953AAKTAsY&r=w

any would be greatly appreciated, thanks

Edit: I did check the fluid, even changed most of it.

Last edited by onetwo; 05-01-2009 at 12:11 PM. Reason: add text
Old 05-01-2009, 03:28 AM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

well what it sounds like is a bad power steering pump. that would be my guess. check the fluid and add if needed. if this doesnt fix it get a new power steering pump. hope this helps.
Old 05-01-2009, 03:33 AM

Year: 1989

Yeah, I would have to say your power steering pump is going out.
Old 05-01-2009, 05:00 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L

my xj makes those noises when I'm low on power steering fluid. I'm gonna go ahead and give you the benefit of the doubt and say that you already checked your fluid level, so the pump itself is going bad. the oil pressure is probably going down due to the load increase of your engine trying to turn the pulley on a bad pump. don't know for sure though, I could be talking out of my butt. my motto is: "just start replacing stuff until the problem gets fixed, it's all gonna have to be replaced sooner or later."
Old 05-01-2009, 06:36 AM
Seasoned Member

I was reading the answers on Yahoo... very entertaining.

It's funny that people who know nothing about cars are so quick to offer advice that will ultimately cost more money and do more damage.

Step 1: check power steering fluid (level AND condition). You want it full on the stick with no bubbles... fill it with the engine "off" and start the engine. Cycle the wheels from lock-to-lock and check the level. If the fluid is foamy, walk away... go get a coffee or something. Give it a minute or two to "calm down" and repeat the filling-procedure. Get the fluid between the marks on the stick and go for a drive.

Step 2: "overheating" at idle: How hot does it actually get??? 210 degrees is normal. Turn the a/c on and lift the hood. See if the electric fan on the radiator is running... you will need that fan even without the a/c this summer.

Step 3: low oil pressure: you will have lower oil pressure if you are actually overheating like in step 2, and your pressure will wobble a bit at idle when you turn the steering to it's full-lock with the a/c on and in-gear.
Old 05-01-2009, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by solderjunkie View Post

Step 2: "overheating" at idle: How hot does it actually get??? 210 degrees is normal. Turn the a/c on and lift the hood. See if the electric fan on the radiator is running... you will need that fan even without the a/c this summer.

Hi

I removed most of the power steering fluid on monday and replaced it with locus (I believe that's what it's called) stuff as that's what my mechanic said to do. It helped a little bit, I think.. but it is still pretty bad.

It will get to the red line, 260 (I think that's what it is) and then start sputtering.