Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

should i buy '88 cherokee 4x4 for $500?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 10:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default should i buy '88 cherokee 4x4 for $500?

well i went to look at this jeep tonight didnt really have a chance to get in its business but did drive it. heres specs from what i know now.

the good
4x4
stick shift(idk if i like to tow boats in and out of boat ramps... =/)
200k miles
sunroof
rear diff fluid done
new valve cover gasket
power windows+locks

the bad
needs new front bumper, rear is a little bent up
needs front left fender
needs right front fender flare. rust where it used to be
busted taillight
been told need new master cylinder
also told need new rotors in front
needs tune up

has rust on bottom back corner of front pass. door. has to be repaired with new metal about a 4x4 piece

cant think of anything else so ask me.

but idk if i really want to buy this thing to repair it. it would be my DD b/c i dont feel like paying the $400 tag fee florida now charges and also more insurance. opinions? suggestions? should i look for anything for a yay or nay on buying it? i have $900 right now and will have 1400 soon. cheap cherokees are hard to find here so thats why i want your guys' opinion. thankss btw im obsessed with cherokees and have wanted one forever
Old 06-03-2010, 10:41 PM

Year: 1998

Honestly, it is possible to get something much nicer for the same money if you look around long enough. I just bought my '98 xj sport 4x4 with a perfect body, driveline and no rust for $500. There were a couple simple things wrong with it that were easy fixes and cost next to nothing to repair. Be patient, keep looking, and you can find a really nice Jeep for that money.

Corey
Attached Images  
Old 06-03-2010, 10:47 PM

i've been waiting trust me... theres nothing around here.. i live in daytona beach and this is what craigslist looks like to me. ive been waiting for a year

http://daytona.craigslist.org/search...rokee%20-grand

btw i dont want a grand cherokee

and a jeep like that would go for 3500 plus as you can see with craigslist. they are very desirable vehicles down here
Old 06-03-2010, 10:48 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990

if it didn't need the mech stuff i would say jump on it. the body damage is easy to fix, but if you gotta do a master cylinder and rotors your gonna spend close to that fixing it. that's just the mechanical. the body damage will prob cost the same. just food for thought
Old 06-03-2010, 10:52 PM
CF Veteran

if you dont mind spending around 1200 with the purchase and want to do the work than i would say go for it i did look at your link and i do have to say your right there isnt much thats not already lifted with there own issues that will cost you more in the end than you pay for them so if i was in your shoes i would buy it fix it up the way i would want it to be
Old 06-03-2010, 10:55 PM

sorry i forgot to mention that im a part time mechanic... help out my mechanic on busy days, and have access to tools including lift tranny jacks etc as well as All Data(repair manual for EVERY car on computer) and the best thing is i get parts at cost
Old 06-03-2010, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by mwdouglas
if you dont mind spending around 1200 with the purchase and want to do the work than i would say go for it i did look at your link and i do have to say your right there isnt much thats not already lifted with there own issues that will cost you more in the end than you pay for them so if i was in your shoes i would buy it fix it up the way i would want it to be
yeah thats what i was thinking... current owner said she did some mudding but i mean shes a girl and its stock everything and i dont think shes too stupid to go too far. any idea where i can see what axles and t-case these things came with? how easy are they to swap of dana if its a 8.8 rear end?
Old 06-03-2010, 11:00 PM

Year: 1998

I got mine on Craigslist also, they wanted $800, but were willing to negotiate so I got a deal. You local craigslist is definitely a little skinny compared to Indianapolis. If you've got the means to travel a little to pick it up, it might be worth looking as far away as atlanta if the one you get is driveable. As many as I have seen for sale, I am convinced you could find one that doesn't need much of anything to just get in and drive, or like the others have said, if you like the one you are looking at, and don't mind putting the time and money into it to get it right, then hop in it and go because no matter how you look at it, $500 is cheap for any 4x4
Old 06-03-2010, 11:02 PM
CF Veteran

theres a possibility it could have the dana 44 in the rear the 87-89 cam with a danna 35 and 44 should have the np231 tcase unless it has the select trac tcase wich is the np 242 mines a 90 with the select trac tcase
heres i chart of the most common rear diff shapes and sizes
Attached Images  

Last edited by mwdouglas; 06-03-2010 at 11:05 PM.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by fonman25
I got mine on Craigslist also, they wanted $800, but were willing to negotiate so I got a deal. You local craigslist is definitely a little skinny compared to Indianapolis. If you've got the means to travel a little to pick it up, it might be worth looking as far away as atlanta if the one you get is driveable. As many as I have seen for sale, I am convinced you could find one that doesn't need much of anything to just get in and drive, or like the others have said, if you like the one you are looking at, and don't mind putting the time and money into it to get it right, then hop in it and go because no matter how you look at it, $500 is cheap for any 4x4
i was thinking for a 4x4 its cheap too. i need a better beach vehicle with 4x4 bc i surf alot and where i surf if you want to surf high tide your not getting off of the beach w/o 4x4. and i dont feel like walking all the way from off beach parking

theres a possibility it could have the dana 44 in the rear the 87-89 cam with a danna 35 and 44 should have the np231 tcase unless it has the select trac tcase wich is the np 242 mines a 90 with the select trac tcase
heres i chart of the most common rear diff shapes and sizes
thanks i just realized i put 8.8 instead of 8.25 lol... thats gonna help me alot. how can i tell which tcase it is and which is the better?
Old 06-03-2010, 11:15 PM
CF Veteran

the 231 is as follows
2h 4h n 4l
the 242
2h 4hpart time 4h full time n 4l
the only diff in them is mine(242) i can run part time 4 h on the highway were the other t case dosnt have that option nor does it have the full time 4h im told i have the better tcase
Old 06-03-2010, 11:20 PM

lol dam.. its the 231.. i dont need the full time 4x4 anyways cause we dont have snow down here lol well most winters
Old 06-03-2010, 11:25 PM
CF Veteran

i used to live in Pensacola and the first time i lived there i got there wearing a t shirt and shorts in jan and ppl looked at me like i had lost my mind i left va it was 28 degrees and when i got there it was like 55 degrees and ppl were in sweat shirts and coats
Old 06-03-2010, 11:27 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 88

I would say pass on it because that 5 speed is crap in the 88.. I have an 88 also and just another jeep with auto to swap.. you more then likely will have issues with it and its not an easy fix... just my 2 cents
Old 06-03-2010, 11:46 PM

i used to live in Pensacola and the first time i lived there i got there wearing a t shirt and shorts in jan and ppl looked at me like i had lost my mind i left va it was 28 degrees and when i got there it was like 55 degrees and ppl were in sweat shirts and coats
lol yeah im from russia and ive adapted to the heat around here lol

Originally Posted by duffman5001
I would say pass on it because that 5 speed is crap in the 88.. I have an 88 also and just another jeep with auto to swap.. you more then likely will have issues with it and its not an easy fix... just my 2 cents
what kind of problems? im thinking i need to do a clutch job soon if i get it..

Quick Reply: should i buy '88 cherokee 4x4 for $500?