Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Should front & rear springs be replaced at the same time.

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2016, 03:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Should front & rear springs be replaced at the same time.

Hello all,
I am getting ready to replace the rear springs in my xj as it has 163,000+ miles and the rears are flat, no arch at all. At the current time there is about 3/4 inch difference in the center of axle to bottom of flare from front to rear, the rear being taller. I can get a stock rear spring from Rocky Road Outfitters with bushing kits that fit the spring & shackle. I am just wondering if the new rears would make it set higher than it is now? Should I go ahead and get the new fronts as well or just get a lift kit with new springs?

As always, Thanks in advance.
Old 03-11-2016, 06:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

New springs will make it set higher. You don't necessarily need to do the front at the same time. They are probably about due, though. If your budget will stand it, go for all four, and the shocks too, and you'll know it's all good at the same time.

If the budget is a bit tight, you can wait on the fronts. Not a problem.
Old 03-11-2016, 06:34 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KaMoore
Hello all,
I am getting ready to replace the rear springs in my xj as it has 163,000+ miles and the rears are flat, no arch at all. At the current time there is about 3/4 inch difference in the center of axle to bottom of flare from front to rear, the rear being taller. I can get a stock rear spring from Rocky Road Outfitters with bushing kits that fit the spring & shackle. I am just wondering if the new rears would make it set higher than it is now? Should I go ahead and get the new fronts as well or just get a lift kit with new springs?

As always, Thanks in advance.

I have no idea what you are talking about here............

Dorman for stock........check Summit Racing.

Or call General Spring.

Rears first, adjust front to match.

NEW springs.
Old 03-11-2016, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Jeep Driver
I have no idea what you are talking about here............

Dorman for stock........check Summit Racing.

Or call General Spring.

Rears first, adjust front to match.

NEW springs.
Rocky Road Outfitters has Crown springs that are the same as original equipment with the poly bushings instead of rubber. They also sell the springs and bushings for less than half what Jeep wants for the same thing.
Old 03-11-2016, 07:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998

What measurement do you have front and rear? From what I gather measuring from center of axel hub to bottom of fender on a stock xj should be ~17" in front and ~17.5 in the rear.
Old 03-11-2016, 07:39 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987

I did all the shocks and just the rear springs on my '87. A huge improvement and well worth the cost. Not too hard a job if you have time and space. Getting the spring eye bolt off the frame rail is a bear. I did it twice as I was taking the springs off an '88 donor jeep. Needed MAPP+O2 to get them off. Then one broke still in the eye. Watch the rear brake hose when you lower the axle to take load off. Ask me how I know...
Old 03-11-2016, 08:14 PM
Banned

Rocky Road Outfitters has Crown springs that are the same as original equipment with the poly bushings instead of rubber. They also sell the springs and bushings for less than half what Jeep wants for the same thing.
Link?

I would not use poly in the springs, not serviceable.
Old 03-11-2016, 08:22 PM
Banned

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Suspensio...J8HhoCszfw_wcB

Same damn spring.........cheaper.

Or, Dorman, $218 to your door for the pair with rubber bushings.

I have Dorman, good spring.
Old 03-11-2016, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Jeep Driver
Link?

I would not use poly in the springs, not serviceable.
Here is a link, I hope.
http://www.rocky-road.com/cherokee-springs.html
Old 03-11-2016, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Superslow
What measurement do you have front and rear? From what I gather measuring from center of axel hub to bottom of fender on a stock xj should be ~17" in front and ~17.5 in the rear.
I am at 19 1/4 front 19 3/4 rear. There is a 2" spacer on the top of the coil and a 2" block between the rear spring and the axle. It is a real cheap lift kit. That is why I was considering doing a lift kit. It also has the death wobble. It has a new track bar and tie rod ends.
Old 03-11-2016, 09:29 PM

I am at 19 1/4 front 19 3/4 rear. There is a 2" spacer on the top of the coil and a 2" block between the rear spring and the axle. It is a real cheap lift kit. That is why I was considering doing a lift kit. It also has the death wobble. It has a new track bar and tie rod ends.
I hope somebody will chime in with more definitive answers but I don't see how the springs your looking at will do any good for you. If you remove the 2"blocks and spacers your still sitting at stock height with your current springs. Maybe post a pick of your leaf springs. I'd be curious to see how flat they are.
Old 03-11-2016, 09:58 PM

I hope somebody will chime in with more definitive answers but I don't see how the springs your looking at will do any good for you. If you remove the 2"blocks and spacers your still sitting at stock height with your current springs. Maybe post a pick of your leaf springs. I'd be curious to see how flat they are.
I am not sure you can tell about the arch, but here are 2 of th pictures I just took with the jeep on the ground from the backside in the dark.
Attached Thumbnails Should front & rear springs be replaced at the same time.-img_0298.jpg   Should front & rear springs be replaced at the same time.-img_0300.jpg  
Old 03-12-2016, 02:11 AM

I am not sure you can tell about the arch, but here are 2 of th pictures I just took with the jeep on the ground from the backside in the dark.
My gut says your springs are fine and you should be putting your effort into sorting out the death wobble. Lots of threads about death wobble.
Old 03-12-2016, 07:55 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987

I've got the same measurement on my '87. Just did the rear springs last year. Front are stock (not touched yet).

The OPs look a little flat to me. Before I changed mine, they looked a little inverted.
Attached Thumbnails Should front & rear springs be replaced at the same time.-springs.jpg  
Old 03-12-2016, 08:11 AM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

My gut says your springs are fine
Your gut is wrong. Those springs have a negative arch. They are shot.

OP, if you are considering a lift kit, do a complete job, once. Don't piecemeal it. Get rid of those blocks while you're at it.

DW is another matter.

Quick Reply: Should front & rear springs be replaced at the same time.