Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Shes runnin ruff

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 03:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Shes runnin ruff

I got a 94 jeep country 2dr inline 4.0 (beast) but it's running real ruff at low rpm like at stop light or just idle when driving up to speed can't tell at all? I have a 60 mile commute 6 times a week..any suggestions? Plz help..tired of crossin my fingers for an hr lol
Old 02-07-2011, 04:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

search cleaning the iac motor
Old 02-07-2011, 04:33 PM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0

Check the IAC, I had a car that ran rough .... thought it might have been TPS but it was IAC.

If that's good .... check distributor cap, rotor, wire.

My 96 was throwing " Random Misfire " codes, turn out the distributor cap was damaged.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:02 AM

Call me a idiot if a want to but what is IAC? I'm up to code on cars and stuff but can't figure out what y'all talking about lol.. Spuds like it's Mis firing? But drives fine when not at a idle especially when warmed up? Thanks for all the suggestions.. But need a little more info.? Oil does need changed ( doing that today).. It started after it sat I'n the garage for about 3 weeks? Ive herd it before a few times but went away so I didnt think anything of it..?thanks again
Old 02-08-2011, 07:06 AM

Year: 1995

IAC = Idle Air Conroller

I never knew what it was until the valve that controls it on my Crown Vic went bad. It ran terrible at idle, stalling at times. Symptoms were like a Throttle Position Sensor TPS was bad. I was leaving for vacation and had no time to let anyone trouble shoot so I went to the dealer parts counter and asked them ...

"What do you sell more of? IACV or TPS?"

They said the IACV was more popular seller. I bought one and installed it. Problem solved.

The old one was stuck because of carbon, I cleaned it all up and reinstalled to test and it was OK. So now I have a spare.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:29 AM

Year: 2001

Originally Posted by KD3NE
IAC = Idle Air Conroller

I never knew what it was until the valve that controls it on my Crown Vic went bad. It ran terrible at idle, stalling at times. Symptoms were like a Throttle Position Sensor TPS was bad. I was leaving for vacation and had no time to let anyone trouble shoot so I went to the dealer parts counter and asked them ...

"What do you sell more of? IACV or TPS?"

They said the IACV was more popular seller. I bought one and installed it. Problem solved.

The old one was stuck because of carbon, I cleaned it all up and reinstalled to test and it was OK. So now I have a spare.
Now that is one way to reduce the problem... just ask the counter guy what he sells the most! lol BTW I am just kidding with you... dont take offense.... but that was funny.