Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Shaking/Shuddering

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 08:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Shaking/Shuddering

Hey all,
I have a 2000 XJ that is bone stock that I use as my DD. About a year ago I replace the shocks and springs (front and back) with new stock parts and it developed a habit of shaking between 60-65 mph, at the time the shaking wasn't too bad and controllable. Ever since I have been trying to get rid of it. I did the brakes, rotors and pads but not calipers in the front, drums shoes and all new hardware in the rear. Which didn't seem to really help. Next I got an alignment which temporarily helped, then the shaking returned. After that it was time for new tires so i got new wrangler SR-A's. The tires seemed to help and I have been rotating them every 5K, but the shaking returned. A few months ago I replaced the wheel bearing hub along with new rotors and pads again, which didn't help or hurt. Additionally the front sway bar bushings are all new along with the end links.

The shaking was controllable just up until recently. Now when I drive at 60-65 mph the Jeep shakes violently and feels as though the wheel will come right off. PARTICULARLY when I am accelerating and turning to the left, its gotten to the point where I really can't control the Jeep when the shaking occurs and I have to just let off until it stops which is usually about 50 or 40 mph. I've been staying off the highway for the time being but I really want to fix it.

It feels like the shaking originates at the driver side front wheel. I'm thinking a warped rotor, maybe a worn track bar or maybe a worn steering stabilizer. Has anybody else experienced this problem and found a solution? Or any input on my ideas or thoughts of your own.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:11 PM

Year: 99
Engine: 4.0

When was the last time it was on an alignment rack?
That was my first thought. Or it might be that death wobble thing, I'm not familiar with that though.. Google it.
On mine, warped rotors only affect braking.

Last edited by landude; 01-14-2014 at 11:14 PM.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:22 PM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 I6

i vote death wobble, go under your jeep and see if your track bar or anything else is loose or the bushings are dead. you should be able to google " death wobble"
Old 01-16-2014, 06:00 AM
CF Veteran

Received 300 Likes on 249 Posts
Year: 1997 (RHD)
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 ltr

Yes, this sounds like death wobble, I don't envy you....since there are several theories on whats causing it, and even more on how to (try and) fix it. Do a few searches here, and you will have some ideas on what to check first and what to start addressing first...
You gave one clue...it started after new shocks and springs....
Old 01-31-2014, 10:45 PM

FIXED. I basically got under the jeep and started grabbing and shaking things to see if anything was loose. Everything felt secure, but the tie rod felt flimsy. Which made sense since the driver side tire felt like it was the one that was shaking. Replaced the steering linkage with a beefier version - Rusty's RS-SC250-UV, and also replaced the steering damper with Rusty's RS-330-JK. Getting an alignment tomorrow, but it stopped shaking violently around 65 mph. Not sure if it was the linkage or the damper that needed to be replaced. I would recommend replacing the damper first if you are experiencing similar problems and go from there. Will update if the shaking returns.