Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

School me on Camshaft position sensors!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 08:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default School me on Camshaft position sensors!!!!!

We just put a 98 engine in my 2000 cherokee. Everything went back together smoothly. I replaced the cylinder head with an aftermarket one, so it has the coil pack boss's.

When i try to start it, It backfires out the intake with a little flame here and there. My first thought, was that the timing is off. Since this is a coil pack ignition, Can somebody please explain how the camshaft position sensor can be adjusted? Or can it?
Old 12-23-2011, 09:36 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 94
Engine: 4.0L

Do you have a factory service manual? The instructions for dropping this in and aligning with a toothpick are in there. Do a google search, you might find one..

You still need to drop this in with the engine on TDC on compression stroke.. being a coilpack engine does not change this.

Sorry i wasnt of more help.
Old 12-23-2011, 09:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by miglia-spyder
We just put a 98 engine in my 2000 cherokee. Everything went back together smoothly. I replaced the cylinder head with an aftermarket one, so it has the coil pack boss's.

When i try to start it, It backfires out the intake with a little flame here and there. My first thought, was that the timing is off. Since this is a coil pack ignition, Can somebody please explain how the camshaft position sensor can be adjusted? Or can it?
I recently replaced mine. It made all the difference in the world. However, when getting ready to crank for the first time I read only one brief statement which said to be sure to clear all your error codes as the system will then refresh itself based on the parameters of the new sensors and reconfigure itself to the new devices. This is the case any time you replace any sensor. So the "adjustment" you speak of takes place automatically, you just need to clear codes before you run an electrical charge through the sense or. Hope this helps. BTW, you need to use a code reader to clear the codes and not just disconnect the battery.
Old 12-23-2011, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by OverlandXJ
Do you have a factory service manual? The instructions for dropping this in and aligning with a toothpick are in there. Do a google search, you might find one..

You still need to drop this in with the engine on TDC on compression stroke.. being a coilpack engine does not change this.

Perfect! I didnt know if it had to be at top dead center or not.

Thanks!
Old 12-23-2011, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by mfohner
I recently replaced mine. It made all the difference in the world. However, when getting ready to crank for the first time I read only one brief statement which said to be sure to clear all your error codes as the system will then refresh itself based on the parameters of the new sensors and reconfigure itself to the new devices. This is the case any time you replace any sensor. So the "adjustment" you speak of takes place automatically, you just need to clear codes before you run an electrical charge through the sense or. Hope this helps. BTW, you need to use a code reader to clear the codes and not just disconnect the battery.
Thanks! ill clear the codes and try it again.
Old 12-23-2011, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by OverlandXJ

One more thing...How do i know what position the Sensor is to be placed? Ive heard at a 5 oclock position. But it all seems different without a distributer. Ive lost track of the old position and now its just a shot in the dark for me.
Old 12-23-2011, 10:19 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 L I6

You will probably need to use a code scanner tool to "reset the fuel synchronization" after you install it if it is not running perfect.
Old 12-23-2011, 10:24 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by gvns8
You will probably need to use a code scanner tool to "reset the fuel synchronization" after you install it if it is not running perfect.
Bingo.. it needs a DRB scan tool to set the sensor correctly. It'll run a few degrees off but the fuel curve may be off. The toothpick method i mentioned earlier will get it damn close.
Old 12-23-2011, 10:34 AM
CF Veteran

miglia, check your PM's. Sent you some info that will help.
Old 12-23-2011, 10:36 AM

Ok So.. After i find TDC, with the sensor taken out. I align the CAM PS using a toothpick? Do i shove the toothpick through the pin hole right by the gear? Then align the toothpick with the notch thats on the body of the sensor?

What if the oil pump notch in the motor doesnt line up with the notch on the sensor?

thanks Overland!!
Old 12-23-2011, 12:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1997

The oil pump "notch" is movable and will need to be move to a position that helps it line up the the cam sensor as you drop it in. I am not familiar with the distributorless systems, but the "toothpick" idea doesn't really work well with the older systems either. Good luck
Old 12-24-2011, 01:41 AM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.7L I6

i need to do this with my new 4.7

i had to turn my sensor almost backwards just to start it and it still miss's here and there at idle PM me instructions...
Old 12-28-2011, 03:46 PM

Well I couldn't get it exactly right. I got it to start and idle, But it still misses a little when i give it some throttle. I just eyeballed TDC on the first cylinder and didn't use the timing marks on the Pulley, mostly because i can hardly see them. But im going to take the water pump pulley off so i can see the marks. And try the whole thing again.

It also developed a little ticking noise. It sounds like two wires arcing (like a snapping). Im seriously hoping its not a lifter. Because i just had the head off and checked the lifters and they looked new still and they were all tight and functioning properly. Im hoping its a rocker or something.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO

Originally Posted by miglia-spyder
It also developed a little ticking noise. It sounds like two wires arcing (like a snapping).
Not sure if you figured this out but I heard the same thing and it was a spark plug wire not seated all the way.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:16 PM

Actually that's exactly what it was. The coil pack boot wasn't on the plug on the 6th cyl. It's running great now!

Quick Reply: School me on Camshaft position sensors!!!!!