Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

saggy rear

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 11:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default saggy rear

I own an 89 xj and love it. Problem is the rear leaf springs. I can't put much weight in the rear. I carry a full tool box and extra gear plus passengers and the rear sags where the tires are in the fender wells. What kind of vehicle springs are inter-changeable so I can have the strength to put weight on the back but still have some flex, preferably straight bolt on. Thanks for reading and any advice is helpful.

Last edited by 1stTimer; 11-05-2014 at 12:28 AM. Reason: wording
Old 11-05-2014, 12:31 AM
Banned

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0

Saggy rear..... they have surgery for that
Old 11-05-2014, 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by 93_xjcherokee
Saggy rear..... they have surgery for that
Funny, but not helpful.
Old 11-05-2014, 12:59 AM
Banned

Any time bud. That's what I'm here for
Old 11-05-2014, 01:01 AM
Banned

You can pull leaf springs off an s10 and make a bastard pack but it'll lift it a little. Also, replace your factory springs assuming they are factory
Old 11-05-2014, 01:24 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by 1stTimer
I own an 89 xj and love it. Problem is the rear leaf springs. I can't put much weight in the rear. I carry a full tool box and extra gear plus passengers and the rear sags where the tires are in the fender wells. What kind of vehicle springs are inter-changeable so I can have the strength to put weight on the back but still have some flex, preferably straight bolt on. Thanks for reading and any advice is helpful.
You might want to try adding a secondary (overload) flat spring.

Their are aftermarkets such as OME leaf packs for the XJ, that use a two stage rear 4+1 , four leaves (primary) plus one flat spring (secondary) ( or 5+1)

Some S-10s use them, the main spring is the wrong size, can be cut down or removed and combined with the XJs main and other leaves of the leaf pack. Depending on the combination, would add from a small to higher lift for a constant load.

The primary stage behaves similar to an OE spring, with heavier payloads the secondary stage works with the primary, similar to a HD spring.

Dakota springs are also used to create bastard packs for the Cherokee.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1004504

Last edited by Muddz; 11-05-2014 at 03:33 AM.
Old 11-05-2014, 07:23 AM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

You probably just need to replace the worn-out springs with OEM. They work JUST FINE for such loads, when they are new.

I used to work for a company that issued Cherokees to the field techs. They carried a lot of tools and often spare parts, and some of the locations were accessible only by VERY rough 4WD-only roads.

No problem.

I suggest you NOT add any overloads or fancy replacements until you have corrected the basic problem - your springs are shot. Adding an overload to worn out springs is NOT a good idea.

You will likely find that's all you need. If not, you can add an overload, knowing that you are upgrading a sound spring pack.
Old 11-05-2014, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by BlueRidgeMark
You probably just need to replace the worn-out springs with OEM. They work JUST FINE for such loads, when they are new.

I used to work for a company that issued Cherokees to the field techs. They carried a lot of tools and often spare parts, and some of the locations were accessible only by VERY rough 4WD-only roads.

No problem.

I suggest you NOT add any overloads or fancy replacements until you have corrected the basic problem - your springs are shot. Adding an overload to worn out springs is NOT a good idea.

You will likely find that's all y
ou need. If not, you can add an overload, knowing that you are upgrading a asound spring pack.
Thanks for the advice. A buddy said try leafs ftom a 95-01 explorer. Just didnt sound right, so i got on here to ask cherokee owners. Thanks again.
Old 11-05-2014, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by BlueRidgeMark

No problem.

You will likely find that's all you need. If not, you can add an overload, knowing that you are upgrading a sound spring pack.
Thanks for the help. I have a spare tire with the swing gate but took it off cause the *** dragged. Would like to put it back on. The springs look pretty flat. Not sure if thats normal. I'll try the oem springs though.
Old 11-05-2014, 09:50 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

If the rears are sagging that bad I'm sure the front coils should be replaced also.

Dorman makes stock replacement springs and I might suggest you order a set for the "Up Country Package" for an XJ gives it about 1 -1 1/2" more lift than stock XJ.

For what your after forget about the Bastard setups there not what you want.
Old 11-05-2014, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
If the rears are sagging that bad I'm sure the front coils should be replaced also.

Dorman makes stock replacement springs and I might suggest you order a set for the "Up Country Package" for an XJ gives it about 1 -1 1/2" more lift than stock XJ.

For what your after forget about the Bastard setups there not what you want.
Right now i just want to fix the rear leaf problem. Eventually i wanna get the full lift kit. Keeping it simple due to my budget, which isn't much. Ill check into the front coils also. Thanks for the help.
Old 11-05-2014, 11:52 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Right now i just want to fix the rear leaf problem. Eventually i wanna get the full lift kit. Keeping it simple due to my budget, which isn't much. Ill check into the front coils also. Thanks for the help.
I wasn't suggesting adding a flat leaf (overload) spring to an aged leaf pack.

A dual rate spring requires a good primary leaf pack for the secondary spring(s) to function.

I carry a constant payload of tools and equipment using variable rate springs. Which allows me to add additional cargo, tow a trailer, etc.

My variable rear leafs (4+1), the spring rate starts out at around ~140 lbs/inch for the primary. When I add extra cargo the spring rate potentially increases up to ~259 lbs/inch Primary + secondary spring. Adds approx. ~2 inch lift. The Jeep handles well both on and off road with lighter and heavier payloads.

Spring packs for lifted Jeeps (~3 to 4+ inches) are typically from around ~150 lbs/inch to ~240 lbs/inch (4.5 inch lift). Spring rates good for flexing while off-road. (Requires to lift the Jeep to add heavier payloads.)

HD OE springs have a load rating of ~750 lbs. (the amount of weight a spring is designed to carry when deflected to a certain height.) which is different from a spring rate (# of lbs to deflect a spring one inch.)

HD springs (including the OEs and overloads) built for the Cherokee, have limitations, so some people build bastard packs to handle heavier loads or as lifts.

Last edited by Muddz; 11-06-2014 at 03:19 AM.
Old 11-05-2014, 02:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
Yeah, that's probably true.

Bummer. I need to do mine, now I have to add the fronts! It's your fault!
Old 11-05-2014, 08:00 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1998
Engine: I6 4.0

Have you thought about OEM replacements? It might be that simple, 25 years will make your stock springs soft.
Old 11-06-2014, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by burg3rlicious
Have you thought about OEM replacements? It might be that simple, 25 years will make your stock springs soft.
Probably what im gonna do. I cant afford new ones but im gonna try the junkyard

Quick Reply: saggy rear