Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Sadly, good bye Jeep. Need some ideas

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 09:37 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I-6 4.0 HO
Default Sadly, good bye Jeep. Need some ideas

So, I am selling my 91 XJ Laredo soon... SO I can buy a new XJ! The previous owner really screwed me over with some suprises that are starting to surface, and being a college student I cant afford to fix them nor afford my DD to break down. So I need I some advice.

I want an XJ with the high output 4.0 and automatic AW4. I want one that is still failry easy to work on, and not crazy advanced. AND ONE WITH R-134a AIR CONDITIONING lol. I was thinking about a 1996 or 1999. What do you guys think?
Old 06-27-2010, 09:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L high output

if you are looking simple. i would stay in the 94-95 range, only because it is before OBDII. so the computer system isn't as advanced. also, you will still have wires and a distributor, instead of the single coil pack. all in all, just easier to work on, if thats what you are looking for.
Old 06-27-2010, 09:48 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by xjkid92
if you are looking simple. i would stay in the 94-95 range, only because it is before OBDII. so the computer system isn't as advanced. also, you will still have wires and a distributor, instead of the single coil pack. all in all, just easier to work on, if thats what you are looking for.
The difference between the computer tech on 0bd1 vs. obd2, is mainly the emissions crap. Nothing a chip and tune can't fix. My 99 has wires and distributor. Very easy to work on. Anything is easy to work on when you have some sort of mechanical skills. ( not saying you don't)

I'd say go with whatever year you want. Either way, they both have ECU's and will require work to be done in the future... It's inevitable
Old 06-27-2010, 09:53 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0 HO

Originally Posted by 1991Jeep_Man
So, I am selling my 91 XJ Laredo soon... SO I can buy a new XJ! The previous owner really screwed me over with some suprises that are starting to surface, and being a college student I cant afford to fix them nor afford my DD to break down. So I need I some advice.

I want an XJ with the high output 4.0 and automatic AW4. I want one that is still failry easy to work on, and not crazy advanced. AND ONE WITH R-134a AIR CONDITIONING lol. I was thinking about a 1996 or 1999. What do you guys think?
Yea and the earlier models have the R-134a air as well
Old 06-27-2010, 09:54 PM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L high output

Originally Posted by Purp
The difference between the computer tech on 0bd1 vs. obd2, is mainly the emissions crap. Nothing a chip and tune can't fix. My 99 has wires and distributor. Very easy to work on. Anything is easy to work on when you have some sort of mechanical skills. ( not saying you don't)

I'd say go with whatever year you want. Either way, they both have ECU's and will require work to be done in the future... It's inevitable

right. i don't know the laws in Georgia, but in pa. 96 and newer have to pass a plug in emissions test, so, modifying the OBDII system isn't technically legal. Not saying its harder to work on, its all easy if you know what you are doing, its just less of a headache.
Old 06-27-2010, 10:02 PM

Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by xjkid92
right. i don't know the laws in Georgia, but in pa. 96 and newer have to pass a plug in emissions test, so, modifying the OBDII system isn't technically legal. Not saying its harder to work on, its all easy if you know what you are doing, its just less of a headache.
Georgia is kinda similar.... Some counties are emission counties. The way to get around that to make it easy, is to get another obd2 ecu and have it tuned for your needs. Keep the factory one that's still normal for when you have to get the emissions done. Then simply plug and play. It may seem like more of a hassle, but getting an ecu done is fairly simple and cheap. Plus this way he can still gain the newer body as I feel why he wants the years he does.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:17 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: I-6 4.0 HO

So did they use the 4.0 High Output Motor on all models 91 and up?
Old 06-28-2010, 09:29 AM
"CF Moderator"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: l6 HO

Originally Posted by 1991Jeep_Man
So did they use the 4.0 High Output Motor on all models 91 and up?
You can probably find what your looking for here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeep_Cherokee_(XJ) I believe most came with the HO from 91-01 but were only labeled to 99 then they dropped the HO (just the symbol on the jeep) after 99 but still used the HO motor...Tj

Last edited by TrekkerJmm; 06-28-2010 at 09:34 AM.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:44 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 stock

typically the newer the vehicle the MORE difficult it is to work on it yourself.

If you are getting a different vehicle be sure to have a fund available for when it breaks. Anytime you buy another vehicle there is a very big possibility you are also buying somebody's problems. In other words, you don't know the history of your future vehicle except what comes out of the PO's mouth. As you already know it may not be truthful.

When I shop for a vehicle I want the guy to come clean with me. I tend to be skeptical of the person who says "Oh this thing is clean, I would drive it cross country RIGHT NOW!".... okay buddy so why are they selling it to me and not a family member or friend?

Also getting a used vehicle without service receipts plan on doing a major tune up

Inspect...

• dist cap+rotor button
  • wires
  • battery
  • all fluids

replace/perform...
  • spark plugs
  • oil and filter
  • air filter
  • trans filter and fluid
  • coolant flush
If you are lucky and have a healthy happy motor, still need to check some things like
  • tire wear and condition
  • suspension condition
  • rust (check on bottom of doors, hatch and under the car)
  • alignment (does it track straight?)
  • car history report (there is some controversy about this but it never hurts to check.)

As the saying goes
"live and learn"

also

"Fool me once, shame on you....Fool me twice, shame on me"

Think about it really really hard. List EVERYTHING you want/need to fix on your Jeep. It is very likely you will have to tackle most of the list before you are able to sell it at any price.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0

Even the OBDII 99' I have is easy to work on, only 2 O2 sensors, it has a distributor and wires(2000 was the year of the coil pack change). R134A was put in all cars 1994 up by federal law.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:37 AM
CF Veteran

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

'96 and '99 are probably the best years of the XJ line. Either would be great, you're going to see very minor changes mechanically (D35 vs Ch 8.25 for instance), and of course the '99 has the updated exterior/interior styling. With any "new" car, get as much info as you can on it. If the owner can't give you info, stay away from it. Razor's got it perfect for a what do look for and what to do list. Any used vehicle buyer should follow that list - I know I always have and it's always worked out well for me.