Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Rusted parking brake cables??

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 06:22 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1994 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Rusted parking brake cables??

I just changed the rear brakes on my '93 XJ and everything was extremely rusted. Nothing back there moved. I removed everything and cleaned that whole area with wire brushes including the large end of the parking brake cable that attaches to the rear brake shoes. After reassembling it with new stuff (Cylinders, brakes, springs, drums, etc) I have found the emergency brakes do nothing. I replaced the adjusting mechanism which was rusted and you can now adjust that in and out but all that does is make the lever pull up and down less far and doesn't make the actual brake cables move at all. Is it possible the emegency brake cables are rusted in place inside their sleeves?
Old 08-21-2014, 09:17 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Very possible indeed try PB blaster in the cable at the highest end, let if soak overnight then try again to move it a little. I have had to do this on several cars before then when it does finally move a little or after a couple of tries I start placing some oil into the cable till it moves freely.

This has worked for me most of the time not all had to go to a JY for a set for a set for a 78 Monte Carlo one time. Worth a try for sure free and easy to do.