Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Rusted Brake Line

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 02:55 PM
MrP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Rusted Brake Line

Hello, the other day my Emergency Brake CEL came on, and I felt an extremely mushy pedal. I noticed dried brake fluid on my driver-side rear tire and replaced a faulty cylinder. While I was down there I also realized one of my rear brake-lines was rusted and leaking all over the other lines/hoses below it. Could someone please tell me if there is a pre-bent replacement for this line, and if not, what do I need to replace it. Thanks so much for your time, and I'm sorry for the crappy iphone pic.

Name:  brakeline.jpg
Views: 2699
Size:  59.6 KB
Old 11-21-2013, 03:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport
Engine: 4.0

I had the same thing happen to me a couple of years ago. I know that you can get pre-shaped lines for them. When I did mine I just picked up some straight tube and bent it myself. I'm not 100% sure where to get the pre-shaped line but I know you will be able where to get it on-line.
Old 11-21-2013, 03:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No need to buy a prebent line. Just go to advanceauto or autozone and get some of their pre assembled Poly Armour brake lines. The fittings are already on and flared. Just figure out the approximate lengths you need. The brake lines can easily be bent by hand as you route it under your Jeep. Very easy.

Edit. I found my receipt for when I replaced my rear lines. I recommend you replace both rear lines, not just the one thats leaking. If one is bad, the other one is soon to follow.

www.Advanceauto.com
Part number 16190013 and 16190016
You can replace the lines for less than $14.

Those two lines will be pretty much an exact fit for what you need and are easily bent by hand. The longer line was a little on the long side, but I gave it a larger loop up around the rear pumpkin to take up the excess space.

Last edited by Bocefus; 11-21-2013 at 03:39 PM.
Old 11-21-2013, 03:54 PM
MrP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks so much for the help. I've never done brake lines before, anything else I should know before diving in? Also, please forgive my ignorance, whats the pumpkin?

Last edited by MrP; 11-21-2013 at 03:57 PM.
Old 11-21-2013, 04:06 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998 Sport

Originally Posted by MrP
Thanks so much for the help. I've never done brake lines before, anything else I should know before diving in? Also, please forgive my ignorance, whats the pumpkin?
Not a problem. Everyone has to learn some how.
The best advice that I can give you is not to try to bend the tube by hand or you have a good chance of kinking it and cause the new line to leak. You can pick up a tube bender fairly cheap at the parts store. You don't need to get a fancy tube bender. They do sale ones that look like a spring that you slide over the tube. That's what I used when I did mine and it work just as good as my high priced tube bender if not better.
Old 11-21-2013, 05:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by Bocefus
I recommend you replace both rear lines, not just the one thats leaking. If one is bad, the other one is soon to follow.

That's very good advice.

Originally Posted by MrP
Also, please forgive my ignorance, whats the pumpkin?
Honest ignorance needs no forgiveness! We all suffer from it in different areas.

The Pumpkin is the differential. It's about the size and shape of a pumpkin, kind of, so...

Mr. Torrez is exactly right - don't try to do it by hand. I haven't used the spring type he mentions, so it's good to know they work well.

Here are some other options:

This one is junk - a complete waste of money:

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...rchTerm=bender

This one works great:

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=972559_0_0_

I have seen a similar one made by OEM which is much cheaper. Couldn't find a link for you, though. I got mine at Pep Boys, but I don't see it on their site right now.
Old 11-21-2013, 05:56 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you don't need a fancy brake line bender, use a small peice of pipe or spray can to roll the brake line around. brake lines are pretty easy to install. when you go to the parts store to get new line, grab the fitting with the flared piece of line and take them in with you. brake line isn't listed in the parts catalog for your jeep, they will need to know what flare, what size line, and what threads are on the brake nuts.
Old 11-21-2013, 06:22 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999

Put two bolts in a vice next to eachother and use that as a bender.

I just welded two bolts next to eachother so I can put it in a vice easier. Makes super tight radius bends without kinking them.

Picture related.

Name:  null_zps907b8a4f.jpg
Views: 1133
Size:  192.3 KB
Old 11-21-2013, 07:01 PM

Year: 2000

I hear what every one says but when I lost my brakes last summer luckily in my driveway and not when I was going 70 mph on highway, I just went to the dealer and bought the lines perfectly formed for my model year XJ. And they were not that expensive. I think I paid less than $75 for all three steel lines; the real long one from the booster to the rear and the two front ones. It was a good bit of work (and art) to get them routed thru the maze but it made life a lot easier. Up to you. Buying the "raw" tubes will be cheaper but I went this route.
Old 11-22-2013, 12:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RTorrez1
Not a problem. Everyone has to learn some how.
The best advice that I can give you is not to try to bend the tube by hand or you have a good chance of kinking it and cause the new line to leak. You can pick up a tube bender fairly cheap at the parts store. You don't need to get a fancy tube bender. They do sale ones that look like a spring that you slide over the tube. That's what I used when I did mine and it work just as good as my high priced tube bender if not better.
The new Poly Armour and copper/nickle alloy brake lines are much easier to bend and won't kink like the Old Factory style hard steel tubes. I just replaced every single line in an Olds Aurora and the rear lines on my Jeep using the Poly lines, and never bothered using my bender. Just bent the line around obstacles as needed. Not a single problem with kinks.

Look up part number 16190016 on www.advanceauto.com and read the customer reviews regarding how easy it is to bend these lines with only your fingers. Although I would say using a bender would probably get you cleaner looking bends.

Last edited by Bocefus; 11-22-2013 at 01:24 PM.
Old 11-22-2013, 06:47 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Kalali
I hear what every one says but when I lost my brakes last summer luckily in my driveway and not when I was going 70 mph on highway, I just went to the dealer and bought the lines perfectly formed for my model year XJ. And they were not that expensive. I think I paid less than $75 for all three steel lines; the real long one from the booster to the rear and the two front ones. It was a good bit of work (and art) to get them routed thru the maze but it made life a lot easier. Up to you. Buying the "raw" tubes will be cheaper but I went this route.
$75 for brake lines? Holy carp!

Fyi you can buy a 25ft roll at AutoZone for $22 brake line nuts are only a few bucks
The following users liked this post:
jakeepoo3 (07-20-2023)
Old 07-20-2023, 10:33 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RTorrez1
I had the same thing happen to me a couple of years ago. I know that you can get pre-shaped lines for them. When I did mine I just picked up some straight tube and bent it myself. I'm not 100% sure where to get the pre-shaped line but I know you will be able where to get it on-line.
there is a kit on rockauto and at some auto parts stores online.
Old 07-20-2023, 10:54 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by MrP
O'Reilly's and auto zone rent the tube bender and flare tool free. A nickname for differential. Pumpkins 👽
Old 07-20-2023, 12:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 623 Likes on 465 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by Jake Rainwater
there is a kit on rockauto and at some auto parts stores online.

The following users liked this post:
jakeepoo3 (07-20-2023)