Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Runs rough when cold, runs decent warm

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2015, 08:19 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Runs rough when cold, runs decent warm

Hey guys! So I traded and got a buddy of mine's old cherokee. He is the one that built it, and I figured it would be easier to get rid of than my four wheeler that I had.

Its a 93 cherokee 4.0 ho, auto, ford 9" rear with a spool and dana 44 front with a truss open with 4.56 gears. Long armed with 35x14.50 boggers.

Anywho, I drove it about 7 miles home. It idles just fine, but when you take off when it is cold, it spits, sputters, and back fires. Pretty much doesn't want to pull itself much at all as you can barely give it gas. If you floor it, it does the same thing. If you take your foot and smash it, let off, smash it let off, it will go lol.

Once it is warmed up, it seems to be alright. It does sputter a little bit at WOT, and going down the rd at highway speeds, it will almost fade in and out a little if you keep the pedal at the same position, like it looses power, then gains power...like an old lady driving and letting off the gas then pressing it again lol.

Any ideas? It has new plugs in it, looks like wires and cap are new as well. I saw a receipt for a crank position sensor that was took back...So I asked another one of my buddies that owned it and he said that it had blew an ignition fuse and he thought it might be the crank position sensor. So he bought one and then found that fuse so he took it back..

Last edited by matholland; 11-30-2015 at 08:57 AM.
Old 06-03-2019, 03:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

Last edited by southernxjgent; 06-03-2019 at 03:54 PM. Reason: Wrong thread