Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Running new speaker wire to rear speakers

Old 01-09-2012, 11:34 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L Renix
Default Running new speaker wire to rear speakers

The guy I bought the Jeep from did some wack wiring job and I took his crappy Dual brand head unit out and put in my nice one and now the speakers in the rear are really quiet and the front right is fairly quiet. I used a wiring diagram for it and I see when looking at the rear speaker wires that his are all taped and crimped randomly and I don't know what wire is what now because I just clipped off all of his old wires without looking when I took his head unit out. So now I'm just going to run some phresh speaker wire to all 4 speakers. The front two should be easy, but where should I run the wire for the rear hatch speakers?
Old 01-10-2012, 01:08 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: 242 I6

Originally Posted by shooting sticks
The guy I bought the Jeep from did some wack wiring job and I took his crappy Dual brand head unit out and put in my nice one and now the speakers in the rear are really quiet and the front right is fairly quiet. I used a wiring diagram for it and I see when looking at the rear speaker wires that his are all taped and crimped randomly and I don't know what wire is what now because I just clipped off all of his old wires without looking when I took his head unit out. So now I'm just going to run some phresh speaker wire to all 4 speakers. The front two should be easy, but where should I run the wire for the rear hatch speakers?
If it is that bad, following what the previous owner did, then cut all that crap out and I would run it all down the driver side of the vehicle. Tuck it in really nice. I would also run it into an amp under the rear seat. Definitely get an amp, that way if anything happens to the wires for some odd reason, your not replacing wires for the full length again or splicing the section with a simple fix of heat shrink butt connectors.

Just my opinion.

V/r,
-Gray.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:59 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by awsgrayrd
If it is that bad, following what the previous owner did, then cut all that crap out and I would run it all down the driver side of the vehicle. Tuck it in really nice. I would also run it into an amp under the rear seat. Definitely get an amp, that way if anything happens to the wires for some odd reason, your not replacing wires for the full length again or splicing the section with a simple fix of heat shrink butt connectors.

Just my opinion.

V/r,
-Gray.
Yep I'll be amping them. I just don't know how to get the wires to the hatch since it opens and closes and all that?
Old 01-10-2012, 09:05 AM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

You have speakers on your hatch?
Old 01-10-2012, 09:10 AM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by jsavage
I think he means the back of the roof, but maybe I'm wrong. I would run it along the passenger side if it was me. That way it it won't get as much door open/closing and also driver in/out wear and tear.

Just like you wouldn't run a sirius antenna out the drivers door, its the door that gets opened the most and would possibly wear out the small wire fastest.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by aerojt

I think he means the back of the roof, but maybe I'm wrong. I would run it along the passenger side if it was me. That way it it won't get as much door open/closing and also driver in/out wear and tear.

Just like you wouldn't run a sirius antenna out the drivers door, its the door that gets opened the most and would possibly wear out the small wire fastest.
Either way, it all comes down to self preference really, just like anything else. Depending on what they want to protect the wire, if they do, while running it under the carpet. But good point.

V/r,
-Gray.
Old 01-10-2012, 01:31 PM
Seasoned Member

Yep NOT on the back of the roof like a lot of XJ's. Maybe it's because my Jeeps a Limited?
Old 01-10-2012, 01:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Yep NOT on the back of the roof like a lot of XJ's. Maybe it's because my Jeeps a Limited?
wires might be there this tells the colors from factoryhttp://www.the12volt.com/
Old 01-10-2012, 02:37 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1988
Engine: i6

i got em
Old 01-10-2012, 03:36 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1987
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: Renix 4.0

i got them too
Old 01-10-2012, 03:38 PM
CF Veteran

me to seems all the older xjs got them my 94 didnt...
Old 01-10-2012, 03:47 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by freegdr
wires might be there this tells the colors from factoryhttp://www.the12volt.com/
I used that to wire my new head unit in but the speaker wires are all off because the kid changed them like 3 times throughout the line and they're not the same at the speakers. I'm just going to wire it however I want. Ha
Old 01-10-2012, 04:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

you should have some wires running into your hatch from the roof for the license plate light and the third brake light (if you have one). I would run the wires down the driver's side to the back seat to an amp. From there, run them to the c-pillar's and go up those. You'll need to pull the rear trim, including the hatch, so you can run the wires along the back of the roof and down into the hatch. It's not hard, just time consuming.
Old 01-10-2012, 04:44 PM
CF Veteran

I used that to wire my new head unit in but the speaker wires are all off because the kid changed them like 3 times throughout the line and they're not the same at the speakers. I'm just going to wire it however I want. Ha
that sucks..if in dought rip it out
Old 01-10-2012, 06:10 PM

Yep I'll be amping them. I just don't know how to get the wires to the hatch since it opens and closes and all that?
You have to locate the old wires to replace them. So start simple, remove the plastic pillars in the cargo area. My guess is that's how the wires are fed into the rear hatch. So up behind the plastic pillars, to the ceiling of the Jeep and somewhere out the rear latch where the hinges are. Only area of the hatch where the wires would have less play. Don't quote me on this, I have a '98 with a sound bar. I'm almost certain that's the way it should be, it only seems like it.

If I were you, I would rip the hell out of what the previous owner has left you upon buying the Jeep. You know after all of this, your frustration can really use it . Of course without doing anymore damage than what there already is. On the bright side, once you are finished you will know what final product is. New and ready to go without any issues.

V/r,
-Gray.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Running new speaker wire to rear speakers