Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Running Issues after Top End Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 12:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Question Running Issues after Top End Rebuild

I recently finished a top end rebuild of my 91 Cherokee. I replaced the lifters, push-rods, and a complete top-end gasket kit. The only parts that I did not replace was the valves, or the valve stem seals due to my OEM valve compression tool not working properly. My Cherokee ran fine for about 2 weeks, then not so much there after. Its running real loud. There is hardly any power, and I dont dare change into 4th gear for fear that it may stall. The exhaust is real smokey, and smells very rich. At a stop the RPM's fall below 700, and if I dont flutter the gas it will die. After it runs for 5 minutes or so, if it does die or I decide to shut the engine off and then turn it back on I have to press the gas repeatedly while turning the key to get it to restart. My only 2 guesses at the situation are 1) I have a leak in the gasket where the Intake/Exhaust manifold meet the head, or 2) possibly a tooth or two on the distributor have stripped, and my the timing is either advanced or retarded. Could I please have some advice before I go and scrap this old clunker. Thanks to everyone!
Old 11-24-2013, 12:57 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Check vacuum line to map sensor for cracks ?
Old 11-24-2013, 04:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

Like Freedgr says, that Tube and the MAP are supper important.

There is a brittle little tube. It comes out of a rubber plug, low on the engine side of the throttle body. It runs back to the firewall, then up to your MAP sensor sort of high up there near center on the firewall. CRUCIAL!! The MAP will tell the ECU to dump fuel with less/no vacuum. Any crack or blockage and it will be pig-rich. (black smoke, fouled black plugs). You can pull the line off the MAP and feel for vacuum with your finger. If it runs!

Also....If you just hold it floorboarded it will cut fuel to the injectors to help clear it out when it's flooded.