Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Running Dual Alt. or dual battery

Old 05-19-2010, 08:37 PM
CF Veteran

Received 287 Likes on 237 Posts
Year: 1987 MJ, 1998 XJ, 1973 J2000, 89 waggy
Model: Comanche (MJ)
Engine: 4.0L H.O
Default Running Dual Alt. or dual battery

i've seen them before and i've also heard of people getting a top mounting alternator bracket and running their alternator where the A/C compressor is, or running Dual alternators......

where can i find this top mount alternator bracket (what vehicle(s) would i find one on)

also how would i run the wiring to the 2nd alt. if i successfully mounted it (keep in mind i would then run a 2nd stand-alone battery off that 2nd alt to power all my accessories)

or how would i setup to run Dual batteries, and do i run them in series or parallel and what other wires would need to be upgraded so i don't have a barbecue?
Old 05-19-2010, 09:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6

never series. it will make 24 volts. parallel....posi to posi, neg to neg.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: AMC242

Originally Posted by That Jeep Guy XJMJ
i've seen them before and i've also heard of people getting a top mounting alternator bracket and running their alternator where the A/C compressor is, or running Dual alternators......

where can i find this top mount alternator bracket (what vehicle(s) would i find one on)

also how would i run the wiring to the 2nd alt. if i successfully mounted it (keep in mind i would then run a 2nd stand-alone battery off that 2nd alt to power all my accessories)

or how would i setup to run Dual batteries, and do i run them in series or parallel and what other wires would need to be upgraded so i don't have a barbecue?
Dual batteries will be wired in parallel, with the second battery isolated from the first (separating the positive terminals, and using a common ground, would be sufficient. Various styles of "battery isolator" are available, but you do not want to run different types or ages of batteries en banc, as it will cause you trouble. With an isolator, you'll be fine if you mix.)

Dual alternators? You can wire them up in a similar manner - the second alternator would go to accessory distribution, and you can use a common ground (you can even wire up dual alternators to common distribution - that's how ambulances did it early on. They may still do it that way - I haven't checked.)

The bracket to adapt the aircon mount to accept an alternator would have to be fabbed - there's nothing OTS, that I can think of, that would serve. For the second alternator, the easiest way to go would be with a "one-wire" Delco CS-130 series, since it's: a compact unit, internally regulated, would require no regulator input (that's done internally,) and can be had from any competent alternator/starter shop. The CS-130 will give you good power for the size, but still keep the size small. You may have trouble fitting a CS144 in there, or anything larger than a 12SI (and the CS-130 can give you more current than a 12SI ever could.) You could go a bit smaller to a CS-121, but they're usually pretty difficult to find to have rebuilt (unless you can find a core first.) Besides, the CS-130 parts are more common - and therefore cheaper - than the CS-121 anyhow. If a shop can't build you a "one-wire" Delco CS or SI series alternator, find another shop! It's a room-temperature IQ job, and parts are common.

Question - why for do you think you need to do this? You may not, given your requirements - but I don't know what your requirements are (unless I ask...) Perhaps there are better ways to spend the money, and a satisfactory way for you to spend less money on the project in the first place!
Old 05-20-2010, 01:13 PM
CF Veteran

well i recently sold my current toy, and have invested the money into my ongoing project (big comanche) i have a winch prolly about 8-10 lights my CB, and air compressor and some other odds and ends, and just running 7 lights on my previous rig didn't agree too much with my volts (running an optima yellow top battery as well) so i was planning on running an additional yellow top battery to feed all my extra seperately therefor i have 1 battery to cover all the stock oem vehicle etc's and then i have my 2nd optima to run all my accesories and also a seperate alt for the "accesories battery" this way there is no major constant drainage....
Old 05-20-2010, 01:18 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1994
Engine: Inline 6 4.0 H.O. Police Package

They make a Mean green Alternator that's much more powerful then the stock one. I've also heard of people using the 5.2l ZJ Alternator with modifying the alternator mount bracket. I'm not 100% but the mean green or something similiar should bolt up.
Old 05-20-2010, 02:01 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 93
Engine: 4.0

i just did the fore mentioned alt swap its not too bad, you just gotta grind the alt bracket down and two points on the engine block and it drops right in, used to be my winch would bog down the jeep but with the new alt it didnt notice any lag at all. the 5.2l alternator is 136A where as the stock is only 90A
Old 05-20-2010, 06:02 PM
CF Veteran

well i figure i'll have 6-8 lights facing forward on my jeep, 2-4 facing back, my winch, maybe eventually a winch in back also and then probably a power invertor or custom air compressor setup so i just want to cover my bases for when everything is hooked up so i won't have to worry at all about power level

i'm trying not to rely on the one winch and i've checked into the mean green a,lt and at $300 plus...... not my first option, and at $35 for an average alternator and maybe $50 for an additional bracket if i find one..... thats looking like a better option

my friend mentioned that some of the newer cherokee's and wrangler's had them, is there any true to this?
Old 06-14-2010, 01:45 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 stock

sorry to revive an old thread. Autozone carries a 120 amp alt for the cherokee for under $150 after core.

Eventually I want to install a large inverter, off road lamps and possibly a hitch style winch so I was looking at duel battery setup and alt upgrade as a future project.
Old 06-14-2010, 03:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1999 XJ
Engine: I6 4.0L

I just finished my dual-battery and I'm really satisfied after using it a few times for camping. As 5-90 noted, you should consider what you want to be able to do with your electrical upgrade. My goal was to have a battery I could drain and still have my main one to start in the morning. I'm now running two solenoids to charge/use either/both of my Optimas, a red top (starter) and yellow top (secondary). I "upspun" my alternator to 240 amps and have a 1200 watt inverter wired directly to my secondary. Voltmeter doesn't drop when I flip on high-amp accessories and I've rarely actually drained either optima. Great for tailgating and power tools, too!

Last edited by alpine.adrenaline; 06-14-2010 at 03:59 PM.
Old 06-16-2010, 03:56 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by alpine.adrenaline
I just finished my dual-battery and I'm really satisfied after using it a few times for camping. As 5-90 noted, you should consider what you want to be able to do with your electrical upgrade. My goal was to have a battery I could drain and still have my main one to start in the morning. I'm now running two solenoids to charge/use either/both of my Optimas, a red top (starter) and yellow top (secondary). I "upspun" my alternator to 240 amps and have a 1200 watt inverter wired directly to my secondary. Voltmeter doesn't drop when I flip on high-amp accessories and I've rarely actually drained either optima. Great for tailgating and power tools, too!
Where'd you get your 240A unit? Or was it a custom? I just want to make sure I'm not missing something...
Old 06-16-2010, 04:29 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1988 limited
Engine: 4.0 litre

Regarding power tools there is nothing that you can't do with compressed air today.
As for the alternator problem sucking mud in the case, i've thought of a different solution: since i want to keep my AC working, it would stay where it is with a decent splash guard and a special clutch pulley that you can switch off at any time, to disengage the alternator when you cross ponds. Battery would take care of electrical devices for the short time you need.
Two batteries and alternators? too much weight add and engine drag for my taste.
Old 06-16-2010, 06:44 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 stock

Very true. You can do a lot with air. Most of my power needs will be lighting and charging equipment which I could do with 12vDC ; But some specialty capability I want is welding support and (if it came down to it) power outage generator to run freezer and cistern pump in the house.
Old 06-18-2010, 12:58 PM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1999 XJ
Engine: I6 4.0L

Originally Posted by 5-90
Where'd you get your 240A unit? Or was it a custom? I just want to make sure I'm not missing something...
It's custom, Robert at Denver Generator Exchange ordered the kit for me for the Delco Remy CS-130. While I had it apart Blue Flame Powdercoating in Denver put a high temp ceramic coat on it that dissipates heat a little more. BTW, 5-90, thanks for your advice when I first started this dual battery setup.

What size tank would be best for running air tools? I fully agree, I'll take air tools over power any day but I thought I would need a massive tank to make it practical.
Old 06-18-2010, 06:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What size tank would be best for running air tools? I fully agree, I'll take air tools over power any day but I thought I would need a massive tank to make it practical.
I use a 5 gallon tank. It does pretty well with a impact gun. It fills quickly, and keeps up when I have to change a tire, or rap on a bolt. The bigger the tank, for more time it takes to get back up the working PSI, but the more volume you have to work with once its airred up. So i say find a decent tank that you can fit nicely in your jeep. I converted my A/C compress to OBA compressor.

Dual batteries would be nice. But for now, I always carry a jump pack with me. Never know when you will need alittle more juice when winching, or if the alt goes out, connect it to the battery, ziptie everything in place, and get back to camp.

Last edited by Mattpar; 06-18-2010 at 06:13 PM.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:55 PM
CF Veteran

It's custom, Robert at Denver Generator Exchange ordered the kit for me for the Delco Remy CS-130. While I had it apart Blue Flame Powdercoating in Denver put a high temp ceramic coat on it that dissipates heat a little more. BTW, 5-90, thanks for your advice when I first started this dual battery setup.

Yer welcome!

Denver Generator Exchange got a site? Price listing online? I'd like to know more - and if you can give me a postive "report from the field" after six months or so, I'll probably link to him. Of course, the report will have to be fairly detailed (it's got to be something or someone I'd use myself before I'll put a link to it up on WiP...)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Running Dual Alt. or dual battery