Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Rubber window trim/seals question

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2019, 06:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 302 Likes on 251 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default Rubber window trim/seals question

​​​​​So water comes in through these gaps on both sides of the Jeep and i figured that at one time these two pieces where one piece, so I ordered new “door run seals” or “window channels”. But thanks to Quadretec not having pictures of where these seals go, turns out it’s not one piece and I assume I’d have to take the door panel off to install the seals I bought but that’s besides the point because that won’t fix my problem of water coming in. So my question, has anyone else found a way to keep water out of this gap? Is there any seals I’m not seeing online?

Old 03-10-2019, 09:16 PM
gat

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L L6 PowerTech (stock)

Have you looked into those plastic cowls that go over the windows? They drop about an inch down and allows the windows to always be cracked without rain entering the vehicle.
Old 03-10-2019, 09:20 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by gat
Have you looked into those plastic cowls that go over the windows? They drop about an inch down and allows the windows to always be cracked without rain entering the vehicle.
I’ve wanted them for awhile, haven’t been able to justify the price but I guess that is a pretty good solution. Thanks, I didn’t even think of that
Old 03-10-2019, 09:20 PM
gat

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L L6 PowerTech (stock)

Something like these.
https://www.morris4x4center.com/window-rain-deflectors-front-and-rear-smoked-acryilc-11351-20.html
Old 03-11-2019, 01:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 278 Likes on 242 Posts
Year: 1995 RHD
Engine: 4.0l

Originally Posted by gat
The problem with those is they don't fit earlier XJ's with the quarter light windows on the front doors. I'd love to find a set for mine but can only find later ones.
Old 03-11-2019, 02:45 PM
CF Veteran

Received 234 Likes on 207 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

Weathertech sells the 4-door set for $100 U.S. for the old style doors and doesn't use tape. I've considered a set for myself.
Old 03-11-2019, 03:26 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by boxburn
The problem with those is they don't fit earlier XJ's with the quarter light windows on the front doors. I'd love to find a set for mine but can only find later ones.
that makes sense that they don’t fit, I wonder why every single one says 84-01. The few that even show a pre 96 XJ in the picture don’t have the visors installed
Old 03-11-2019, 03:26 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by PatHenry
Weathertech sells the 4-door set for $100 U.S. for the old style doors and doesn't use tape. I've considered a set for myself.
unfortunately I don’t think I could justify $100, not yet anyhow
Old 03-11-2019, 06:25 PM
CF Veteran

Sorry for going a bit off track in my previous post. After having a look at the parts you bought, they do like the correct ones. Mine are also in 2 pieces but I don't have any gaps like you have, you could find that the seals have just shifted during their years and the new ones will fill up those gaps. It's the exact same setup as in VW T2s that I work on, one seal down the edge of the Q-light and another that runs along the top of the glass then down the back end of the door. If I remember tomorrow, (by replying I should get an email that I'll see in the morning,) I'll take a few pics of my seals in the same locations.
Old 03-11-2019, 06:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 164 Likes on 139 Posts
Engine: 4.0L

I just did this to my Jeep recently. You are correct they are two pieces. You have the "window run seal" which runs along the top of the glass and down theback side about 3/4 of the way down the door in the channel the window rides in and then the "division bar seal" which runs down the division bar into the door, again about 3/4 of the way down where the window rides inside the divison bar, between the main piece of glass and the "wing window". Both need to be replaced, and it's not cheap to do all of the doors. I spent about 400 dollars all around for just the window seals (don't forget the "belt line molding/window wipes" if you want to keep from having scratched glass about another 100 bucks) but it was worth every penny for the reduction in wind noise.

On the back doors the window run seal runs from the front of the door to the back and then there is the division bar seal and there are actually two of those. I'm going to go make a video here in a minute to hopefully explain it better but the easiest way to do this is to remove all the glass from the door replace the seals and reinstall. Takes a bit of fanagaling but is doable and makes for a much better ride to and from work.

Screw quadratec IMO use TeamCherokee. Their pages are better at describing what seals go where.
Old 03-11-2019, 10:36 PM
CF Veteran

Last edited by downs; 03-11-2019 at 10:44 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Furrydogs (10-15-2019)
Old 03-12-2019, 04:01 AM
CF Veteran

It turns out I do have those gaps but no water leak so there's no point taking pictures. A quick pull on my seals while the window is down has repositioned them to close the gap but I'm sure they'll work their way back.
Old 03-12-2019, 10:30 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by downs
I just did this to my Jeep recently. You are correct they are two pieces. You have the "window run seal" which runs along the top of the glass and down theback side about 3/4 of the way down the door in the channel the window rides in and then the "division bar seal" which runs down the division bar into the door, again about 3/4 of the way down where the window rides inside the divison bar, between the main piece of glass and the "wing window". Both need to be replaced, and it's not cheap to do all of the doors. I spent about 400 dollars all around for just the window seals (don't forget the "belt line molding/window wipes" if you want to keep from having scratched glass about another 100 bucks) but it was worth every penny for the reduction in wind noise.

On the back doors the window run seal runs from the front of the door to the back and then there is the division bar seal and there are actually two of those. I'm going to go make a video here in a minute to hopefully explain it better but the easiest way to do this is to remove all the glass from the door replace the seals and reinstall. Takes a bit of fanagaling but is doable and makes for a much better ride to and from work.

Screw quadratec IMO use TeamCherokee. Their pages are better at describing what seals go where.
thank you for the reply and video, ill watch it when I get home. So I guess I’ll slowly just gather the remaining seals, I’ve got all four window run seals and outer window seals but that’s it. And for Quadratec I think I’m done with them, I’ve had to return so much because of their lack of pictures and info.

Last edited by Spencer_P; 03-12-2019 at 10:39 AM.
Old 03-12-2019, 01:37 PM
CF Veteran

I’m a little confused by their wording and names for the seals, could you tell me which one of these would fit my needs? They’ve got a whole set of just about every seal for like $490 that I’d love to get but when you put it in perspective I just can’t justify that much, I could buy another Jeep for that haha

1. http://teamcherokee.com/4-door-jeep-...kee-1984-1996/

2. http://teamcherokee.com/complete-win...eer-1984-1996/
Old 03-12-2019, 02:00 PM
CF Veteran

Good luck finding one around here for that price. Even ones with major mechanical issues will pull 1 to 2 grand.

The first link you posted is the exterior wipes only. The second link is interior and exterior wipes. The little felt lined pieces that actually touch the window as they roll up and down.

Last edited by downs; 03-12-2019 at 02:02 PM.

Quick Reply: Rubber window trim/seals question