Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Rough Idle

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 10:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Rough Idle

Hey everyone!

I own a 2000 jeep Cherokee. Its actually my second jeep, and I've always done my own work on them, so I am certainly not new to the work of cherokee's.

My latest problem has come very recently. I have a CEL on right now, reading bad o2 sensor. I've also developed a very sporadic idle, but it only seems to come sometimes. As I am slowing down to a stop, or if the jeep is idling for more than a few minutes, it starts to idle very rough. I'll shut the jeep off, then start right back up with no problems at all. It's very problematic because it happened in the middle of a busy intersection yesterday with my whole family in the car. I barely was able to limp it through the intersection. Pulled over, killed the engine, started it, and it ran fine.

ADD: its not happening every time I come to a stop, or every time I idle. It only happens about once or twice a day (for about 4 days now)

The two problems seem to have come up about the same time, but in my experience, I've never had an o2 sensor cause a rough idle like this . . .but then again, maybe I've just been lucky in the past?

Thoughts?

I'd like to head to the parts store today, and try to get the gremlin out of here
Old 06-18-2010, 10:27 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

If that was my Jeep I'd Seafoam then replace the o2 sensor.