Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Rough country 3", 3"ii, lift or what???

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 09:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Rough country 3", 3"ii, lift or what???

I am sorry if this has been asked before. I have been doing a lot of searching and still not sure, so lets go to the more experienced than myself.

Let me start off with a lil history. I just got a 95 2 door Cherokee 4L 4X4 from my dad. He rarely ever drove it and sat most of the time, but it seems to run well. Yesterday I bought all the fluids to change the tranny, diffs, engine, and transfer case plus tune up parts. It needs work to the rotten floors, broken drivers side door hinge, exhaust, 2 tires, prob shocks, and maybe some brakes parts.

My plan for this truck is a part time snowy road vehicle to make it to work, and a toy to get dirty, but not anything real crazy since I have never had a truck to do that with. I plan to lift it around 3" and put some 33's on there with abviously some heafty trimming. I was looking to do a cheap but good lift and figured since I may need shocks I should look at a Rough Country 3" lift. My question is should I go with the regular 3" or 3"II? Do I really need to spend the extra $90 or so on the pieces in the 3"II? Is there a cheaper/better way to achieve what I want or just get the regular 3"? I am mechanically inclined, but do not have the equipment, space, or know how to fab stuff and want to avoid welding and such.

Thanks and sorry for the long message, but thought it would help with your advice.

John
Old 02-21-2010, 08:22 AM

BUMP
Old 02-22-2010, 11:05 AM

Nobody has an opinion? The other kit comes with lower control arms, sway bar drop bracket, and Nitro 9000 shocks instead of 8000's. Just wondering if I really need the control arms and drop bracket for my planned set-up. I guess the shocks ride a little better. Thanks
Old 02-22-2010, 11:16 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

get the type II kit. Not sure the what either kit has, but what you wanna look for in a good kit is new springs up front, new lower control arms, swaybar extenders for the front (you can take your rear off without any issues), and new leaf springs in the rear. 3" some people say you need shocks some say you don't, so i dunno for sure. but new leafs are always a plus. the block/shackle idea blows, and the add a leaf is cheaper, but the leafs are prone to sag on the xj's so your just wasting your money.
If you search there are tons of topics on this subject, seems like this question is asked everyday. yes I know the search function on here sucks, but seeing this question pop up so much may be why people are slow to reply. good luck in any direction you go.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:37 AM

Thanks. I have been searching and reading a lot, but didn't really see where people talked much about controls arms. Some say they rub, some don't. With different back spacing on news wheels seems to fix some of that. Just wasn't sure if it was worth the extra money that could be used somewhere else.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

From what I understand, the reason you get longer control arms is because when you lift the jeep and keep the OE arms, you shorten the wheelbase a little and the tires won't be centered in the wheelwells without longer arms.

I'd like to ask a question here too, because you will probably have the same question when you get your kit.. I have not bolted my CA's on yet but how should they be positioned? should the "elbow" be on the bottom, and the shorter end attached to the axle? like this _/ ??