Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Roof Cross Bars Seperated

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 08:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: '93
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 2.5L I4 (Mercedes Turbo Diesel planned)
Default Roof Cross Bars Seperated

Hey, guys. I was at the JY today and found an overhead console out of a '91, so I grabbed it up with the mounts and everything, except the wiring for the compass and temp, which I'll grab later on. Of course, had to pull the headliner and everything, at which time my suspicion of the roof cross-members (I think that what they're called) are separated from the roof. I can see the old adhesive on both sides.

What should I use to re-adhere them? Both the front and rear are off and the roof rattles like when the doors are closed, as well as driving down the road. It's very annoying....I read somewhere about pure silicone caulking, but wasn't sure if this was right or not. And what would be the best way to get the bars to stay up against the roof while it cures and sets?

Thanks, guys!

Name:  IMG_20140307_163752_zps4ddc3d99.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  69.3 KB

Last edited by TwoXJS; 03-07-2014 at 08:43 PM.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0

I don't know if others have used it before but it seems like canned foam would be ideal. I'd use the Window & Door formula because it's low pressure which will keep your roof from bowing when it expands.

Old 03-07-2014, 09:45 PM

Hmm, interesting....The stuff that was up there from the factory feels like some kind of foam, actually. I'm just not sure if it'd adhere it to the roof like it was....Seems like it'd be good for filling the supports to stop any rattles!
Old 03-07-2014, 10:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0

Great Stuff actually adheres pretty well and it won't expand and contract with temperature the way silicone will. Again, I'm not endorsing it but I can't think of any reason it wouldn't work as good or better than anything else. I also picked up an overhead console last week so I might give it a try when I discover my crossbars are separated just like yours.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:45 PM

Lol well, I wish you luck they're not! Looks like it'll be an annoying project to fix, getting sticks or jacks wedged between the bars and floor to push the bars up....Any idea if the front lights on the console are supposed to come on when the doors open like the rear ones do? I cant even turn my front reading lights on....