Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Ring and Pinion?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 02:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6
Default Ring and Pinion?

Is there a reason the stock ring and pinion for a D30 is $400+ and the aftermarket ones are only $200?

Also if I am going from 3.55 gears to 4.10's do I just have to replace the ring & pinion, or is there extra stuff in there that needs to be changed to make it work?

Thanks!
Old 02-05-2012, 02:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6

Cuz it's factory made.

And nope, just a new ring and pinion, unless there is a carrier break, but I'm not sure about that.
Old 02-05-2012, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by OOdynamite
Cuz it's factory made.

And nope, just a new ring and pinion, unless there is a carrier break, but I'm not sure about that.
HAHA that's stupid

Cool it just fits though! everything else is fine, I just need to upgrade my gears seeing as how I just went to 33's
Old 02-05-2012, 02:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Since you're stock at 3.55's you'll need a new carrier (for 3.73 and numerically higher) for the 4.10 ring and pinion.
Old 02-05-2012, 03:45 PM

Engine: 4.0

Is it okay to buy a used carrier or can carriers get worn like a ring and pinion?
Old 02-05-2012, 03:53 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1989 2 door

1) If you've never done gears, I wouldn't recommend attempting it!

2) if your only moving up to 4.10s it would be cheaper/smarter to find some factory axles to toss under your rig vs regearing!

A used carrier will be fine. You will also want a master install kit. You will need extra shims to adjust the new gears for proper backlash!
Old 02-05-2012, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by builtnotbought89'
1) If you've never done gears, I wouldn't recommend attempting it!

2) if your only moving up to 4.10s it would be cheaper/smarter to find some factory axles to toss under your rig vs regearing!

A used carrier will be fine. You will also want a master install kit. You will need extra shims to adjust the new gears for proper backlash!
You've gotta learn how to do it some time.

If I can find one near me that would be ideal...still searching around.

Until then I will keep looking for both.

Also...is all of this the same for a D35 with 3.55's also?
Old 02-05-2012, 06:33 PM
CF Veteran

Year: Jeepless at the moment

Originally Posted by iansmellis

Tried www.car-part.com yet? Get a manual, will need some specialty tools to complete a regear.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by fishtaconc
Tried www.car-part.com yet? Get a manual, will need some specialty tools to complete a regear.
I am on it now an theres nothing near me, its all over 500 miles away.

I have a Haynes and Chilton I will read those a few times before I actually do the job, as I do with everything I have never done on a car.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:19 PM

Year: 1989
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: 4.0L I6

yes its the same for the D35

and keep in mind screwing up a R&P swap is more than just pulling it and restarting, it can mean having to start with all new parts.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Plenty of vid on YT, check them out before you dive in headfirst, you might just deciede it's easier to pay for the install.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by Turbo X_J

Plenty of vid on YT, check them out before you dive in headfirst, you might just deciede it's easier to pay for the install.
I am mechanically inclined did I also add that? So doing this job wont be THAT hard for me...I have done all the work on all on my cars, the only time I have taken it to a shop was to rebuild a front axle on my old xj which the ONLY reason I didn't do it myself is because I lacked tools and a place to work on it because I was only 17 living at my moms still. Hehe
Old 02-07-2012, 06:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: 4.0 I6

Just because your mechanically inclined doesn't mean your able to do gears. Hell I consider myself mechanically inclined and id never do them myself. I've been told that the proper tools needed to do this job run around 500. If you don't get the backlash right you will grenade your brand new gears very quickly. If I was you id at least go find a good shop that does gears, and talk to them about it to get a solid idea of what is needed to do this job.

Or better yet try to find someone local that is experience in doing gears and see if they would be willing to do them with you to make sure they are done right. Beer and pizza are always good bribes in that case.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:09 AM

Order the differential set up book from Randy's Ring and Pinion. I did, read it cover to cover twice. Keep it with you and follow the directions TO THE LETTER!!!! Follow the advice above and get extra shims for the setup and an extra crush sleeve for the D35(if thats what rear axle you have). I regeared the axles in my YJ. With great results! Do not get in a hurry and take your time. The tool investment was less than half the cost of what labor would have cost at a local shop. Then when you are done, you will have the satisfaction of doing it yourself and will be a god to all of your buddies! Have done a few others now and the tools have paid for themselves.
Oh, it is much easier to remove the axle assemblies from the vehicle than lay on your back! I know it is a lot of labor, but your back will thank you later!
Old 02-07-2012, 10:11 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990

Originally Posted by shadowman
Order the differential set up book from Randy's Ring and Pinion. I did, read it cover to cover twice. Keep it with you and follow the directions TO THE LETTER!!!! Follow the advice above and get extra shims for the setup and an extra crush sleeve for the D35(if thats what rear axle you have). I regeared the axles in my YJ. With great results! Do not get in a hurry and take your time. The tool investment was less than half the cost of what labor would have cost at a local shop. Then when you are done, you will have the satisfaction of doing it yourself and will be a god to all of your buddies! Have done a few others now and the tools have paid for themselves.
Oh, it is much easier to remove the axle assemblies from the vehicle than lay on your back! I know it is a lot of labor, but your back will thank you later!
X2. dont let other guys talk you out of doing this yourself. experience (good or bad) is better than just forking out cash, and not learning by it, ALL DAY LONG. Just take your time and be methodical, it'll work out better for you

Quick Reply: Ring and Pinion?