Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

rich condition and stall. no codes

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 12:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO
Default rich condition and stall. no codes

Ok. My jeep has been running rough recently mainly at idle. It runs perfectly fine down the road but sputters at idle like a slight misfire and when coming to a stop while driving sometimes it will choke itself out and die unless you give it gas to ease itself to idle speed. when you hammer down it blows black smoke out the exhaust. I may add it isnt throwing any codes whatsoever.
'96 4.0. changed distributor to a brand new one about 2 weeks ago due to a ticking sound coming from it being the rotor hitting the terminals in the cap. wobbling shaft so it is new along with the cap/rotor. changed plugs to champion #412's last week. wires are msd streetfire and are in good condition. put on about 6mos ago. coil is also an msd streetfire coil put on at same time as wires. fuel filter was changed about 2mos ago. air filter is a k&n drop in i just cleaned/oiled like 3 weeks ago. replaced alternator 3days ago and checked all wires/grounds/fuses at the time. tps was replaced. iac was cleaned. map sensor was cleaned and vacuum lines checked and are good. o2 sensors were both replaced. it was throwing lean/rich condition codes a while back but after replacing plugs/welding manifold/cleaning tb and sensors/replacing gasket i cleared the codes and they havent returned and it ran fine for a few days and now its doing this. anything i'm missing?
Old 02-22-2013, 03:35 PM

fuel pressure tested good. havent checked for vacuum leaks. will try that this evening.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:06 AM

checked timing and is spot on, no vacuum leaks but went ahead and changed the L shaped one on the map sensor and made a tighter connection on the big vacuum line on the side of the intake. drove it around for a bit and it halfway surges intermittently and is just chugging fuel. then it tossed codes p0171 and p0172 again.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:22 AM

finally got another code to pop up leading to the o2 sensor so i unplugged my upstream o2 and it ran better. looks like when i hydrolocked the water may have killed one of my brand new o2 sensors? gonna warranty it out and see what happens