Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Reverse lights turn on with marker lights

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 01:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO
Default Reverse lights turn on with marker lights

Hey everybody,
This past week i have had an issue come up with my rig. It's a 1998 XJ 4 door Sport, Automatic transmission 4 wheel drive. What's been happening is when i pull the headlight switch out to the first stop which enables just the marker lights (the orange ones front and back) my back up lights also come on. Also the back up lights stay on if i pull the switch out all the way to enable the headlights. If i step on the brakes the brake lights function normally and the reverse lights stay on too. I haven't changed anything electrical on this vehicle recently (aftermarket cd head unit two years ago and aftermarket headlights about one year ago). I also found that if i push the headlight switch all the way back in to shut off all the lights (markers and headlights) and i shift in and out of reverse the lights come on and go off normally. I have checked all fuses and everything is fine as i assumed it would be. Now my reverse lights have been a little finnicky for the past six months or so.. sometimes they wont come on and i have to wiggle the shifter around to get them to work and sometimes they don't work at all. This i'm sure is to do with a gunked up NSS (neutral safety switch). I'm wondering if for some reason that NSS failing would cause this issue for the back up lights to come on with the corner markers. It doesn't sound like the two should be connected in any way but by all means i'm no expert.
Has anybody had a similar issue or know of a possible fix? As soon as the weather warms up here i will be looking into a possible electrical short but til then any suggestions would be appreciated.
Sorry for the long post just wanted to be thorough and provide as much detail as i could.
Thanks in advance!
Ian