Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Replacing motor mounts-passenger side

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 08:19 PM
Jed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Default Replacing motor mounts-passenger side

I have a 98 XJ with an inline six and shortly I am going to replace both motor mounts. The driver side replacement looks fairly straightforward once the air box is removed but the passenger side has a lot less space. In looking at various threads on the forum, some people remove the oil filter while others remove some or all of the bolts holding the alternator. Others just get after it with everything left in place. Any preferences/suggestions?

Also, I have heard that you should loosen the transmission mount bolts when replacing the motor mounts? True?

Any feedback is appreciated.
Old 10-10-2014, 08:27 PM
Moderator CF K9-unit

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 2000 sport
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: New 4.0l from s&j engines

Originally Posted by Jed
I have a 98 XJ with an inline six and shortly I am going to replace both motor mounts. The driver side replacement looks fairly straightforward once the air box is removed but the passenger side has a lot less space. In looking at various threads on the forum, some people remove the oil filter while others remove some or all of the bolts holding the alternator. Others just get after it with everything left in place. Any preferences/suggestions?

Also, I have heard that you should loosen the transmission mount bolts when replacing the motor mounts? True?

Any feedback is appreciated.
Yes you have to loosen the bolts on the trans mount. Takes the stress out of the mount when you are moving the motor around.

As for how to go about it, I left everything in its place. I guess whatever is easy for you.
Old 10-11-2014, 02:47 AM

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

I left everything in place. Did the driver side first, then passenger. I now have almost everything off the front of the motor to change my timing chain and wish i would have waited to do the mount till now lol.
You want to do more than just loosen your trans mount, you should replace it at the same time because the new mounts will put a lot more "shake" into the old trans mount and cause it to wear at twice the speed. so if it doesnt need replaced now, it will soon.
Old 10-11-2014, 04:10 PM
Jed

Year: 1998

Thanks for the feedback. I replaced the transmission mount last weekend so I am good to go there. I picked up a couple of the Brown Dog motor mounts and as parts go, they look really nice. Almost a crime that I am putting them in a dirty engine bay.
Old 10-11-2014, 05:25 PM

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

thats how i felt as well! Had some pretty yellow mounts for sure. I even felt worse about having to give them a couple of love taps to sit down properly