Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Replacing fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 07:41 AM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Replacing fuel pump

EDIT: Had some problems after the install pages 3-5 is where I am at now.

Thanks.

Ok so here's the deal.

Mine is a 1987 and the fuel pump went out. I have the pump on its way to NAPA and I am replacing the fuel filter as well.

I finally got the electrical connection off of there and one hose to budge but not come off. I am considering just cutting the hoses off and replacing them instead of fighting with em.

I am also having a huge amount of trouble getting that cam ring thing to move to open up the access hole there.

My questions are

1. If they are this hard coming off how hard are they to get back on there?!

2. Any tips for getting that thing to turn? Just keep hitting it harder until it moves? I don't want to break the darn thing.

I doused it with PB blaster but it didn't really seem to help much.

Any tips to make this job a bit smoother would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited by NewXJaddict; 07-30-2010 at 12:31 AM.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:50 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

Hey Chad. Here's a write-up w/pics if that will help. I've never done one on a Jeep so I have no tips to offer other than on the lock-ring you might try alternately hitting it on different sides to help getting it to move. That's worked for me on others. I'd cut those old hoses off and replace with new ones (and clamps) if it were me. http://www.allpar.com/SUVs/jeep/fuel-pump.html

Last edited by ol"blue; 07-27-2010 at 07:54 AM.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:58 AM
CF Veteran

Thanks! The write up makes it sound so simple! lol. I spent half an hour just getting the electrical connector off the lock ring thing, I could have just unplugged the harness. Ugh.

The real trick is getting that cam ring thing to move. There is only one notch I can even attempt to try to use to pound on. The rest can't really be reached. They are in really bad spots.

And yeah.... the hoses are getting cut off. Fuel line cant be all that expensive for the little bit ill need. I am not fighting with those hoses all day.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:04 AM
CF Veteran

Like I said, I've never done a jeep fuel pump. If it were mine and I had that much trouble and couldn't find an alternative I'd drop the tank for extra working room. JMO
I'm sure someone will chime in with some tips though.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:07 AM
CF Veteran

Yeah. if I were in my drive way at home I might consider dropping the tank. Right now it is sitting here in the parking lot at work. I also don't have any help to assist me in stabilizing the tank as it comes down.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:09 AM
CF Veteran

Yeah, I remember you saying that. It sucks there's no one close that could tow you home or help you out.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:08 AM
CF Veteran

You know. I keep looking at that darn ring and maybe I am stupid or something but I just cant see how exactly it works. I know the inner ring is suppose to turn and it is suppose to go counter-clockwise.

Am I suppose to just tap upwards on those little tabs that stick out? Or am I looking at it the wrong way?
Old 07-27-2010, 09:26 AM
CF Veteran

You hit the inner ring on those tabs that are sticking out and rotate it inside the outer ring until the "tangs" line up with the openings in the outer ring, allowing it to come out.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:28 AM
CF Veteran

OHHH .. so you pound IN on them kind of as if you were trying to punch a hole in the tank not UP on them as to rotate them.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:29 AM
CF Veteran

the good news.....not much rust up that way. more greasy and dirty than anything else lol.

ok ... well I guess it isnt getting any cooler out there. Guess Ill go back out and try some more.

Last edited by NewXJaddict; 07-27-2010 at 09:31 AM.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:34 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by NewXJaddict
OHHH .. so you pound IN on them kind of as if you were trying to punch a hole in the tank not UP on them as to rotate them.
You hit them to rotate the ring but DON"T try to hit them in, or bend them, just try to rotate the inner ring.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:45 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0

Another technique I found useful is to try to turn that ring clockwise. Bang it a couple times and see if it will break the corrosion free.

I put a pretty thorough write-up on how to change the pump on this forum a few weeks ago. Do a search and it should come up if you search on my user ID. I don't have that many posts or threads.

BTW, I copied a lot of the technique from somebody else's posts on this forum but was never able to find that thead again and give the guy proper credit.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:54 AM
CF Veteran

Thanks Ill take a look around for it. This thing is more troublesome that I figured it would be. hmm
Old 07-27-2010, 10:05 AM
CF Veteran

This probably takes much more force than I am giving it. I think doing this in the parking lot here at work is a bad idea. I have to find a way to get it home. I can't stand all these people standing on their balcony staring at me. Bugs the crap out of me. Every time I tap the hammer it echoes.

I gotta find someone to give me a hand.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:30 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by NewXJaddict
This probably takes much more force than I am giving it. I think doing this in the parking lot here at work is a bad idea. I have to find a way to get it home. I can't stand all these people standing on their balcony staring at me. Bugs the crap out of me. Every time I tap the hammer it echoes.

I gotta find someone to give me a hand.

Don't worry about them. In a day, they'll all go back to Oprah and you'll be a distant memory.

BTW, use a brass drift if possible. You really don't want sparks. All that PB Blaster should probably make a spark difficult to generate but, even so...

If I was nearby, I'd help. It is not a fun job but not all that bad once you get rolling. PM me a phone number and I'll be happy to call you and see if I can help.

Also, make sure you've got less than a half tank of fuel or it is really going to be messy when that thing comes out of there.

Quick Reply: Replacing fuel pump