Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Replacing fuel injectors..should I bother replacing the fuel pump module?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 08:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default Replacing fuel injectors..should I bother replacing the fuel pump module?

Hi all,
I will be replacing my fuel injectors in the near future and I read somewhere (can't recall where..) that I should also replace the fuel pump module located in my gas tank. Could anyone confirm this? I haven't had any problems with it, but if it's recommended I figure I might as well.
Any tips or anything I should look out for would be appreciated.
Thanks

(2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport, 4.0L 6 cyl, etc)
Old 04-05-2014, 09:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 I-6

I'd just get a fuel pressure test kit from the auto parts store loan-a-tool program and test your fuel pressure. If it is wirhin specifications, I'd leave it alone. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
Old 04-05-2014, 11:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Why replace the fuel pump? Are you currently having problems with low fuel pressure?
I'm pretty sure the injector swap mod on these cars is mainly for the better spray pattern/fuel atomization of the newer style injectors. A new fuel pump will simply provide the same fuel pressure that ya currently have... albeit with a younger pump...
Old 04-05-2014, 11:36 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 Straight 6 HO

I had multiple codes due to two bad injectors. The way the codes tripped made it very hard to tell exactly which ones where bad. I replaced all 6 injectors without replaced the fuel sending unit and it immediately fixed my problem without having to change the fuel sending unit. If you know you're changing the injectors, then change the injectors and save the money on the sending unit.
Old 04-06-2014, 06:24 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by scottmphoto
I'd just get a fuel pressure test kit from the auto parts store loan-a-tool program and test your fuel pressure. If it is wirhin specifications, I'd leave it alone. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Yes, Yes and Yes!
Old 04-06-2014, 06:10 PM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6

Originally Posted by scottmphoto
Sounds like a good idea. And that's one hell of a motto!

Originally Posted by gottarollwithit
Why replace the fuel pump? Are you currently having problems with low fuel pressure?
I'm pretty sure the injector swap mod on these cars is mainly for the better spray pattern/fuel atomization of the newer style injectors. A new fuel pump will simply provide the same fuel pressure that ya currently have... albeit with a younger pump...
Nope - as I said I haven't had any problems with low fuel pressure or anything. I heard a rumor that you might as well replace the module when you do the injectors too..dunno where, but I won't be doing that.

Thanks everyone