Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

replacing front bumper/fog lights, help me

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 01:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default replacing front bumper/fog lights, help me

So i just got a 1991 jeep cherokee, and the front fog lights are out. the car didn't come with a manual, nor do i have any money to get a manual or repair book.
i can't seem to figure out how to take off the front bumper to replace the fog lights, or if there is a much easier way, that would be a lot nicer to know.

i'm trying to replace the fog lights on the bumper, not the ones connected to the head lights.

please give me some tips or let me know how to do this, i can't find anything on the internet and i feel like i'm just unscrewing things i shouldn't be on the bumper.
Old 05-14-2012, 02:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Year: 87
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: 4.0 I6

If you don't have enough money to buy a book to help you out the STOP NOW and sell your jeep.

No matter what working on a old 91 you will spend money to fix it. Taking a 20 year old bumper off you will snap lil bolts or the clip that the bolt mounts too.

The bumper should be mounted to the air dam and the fenders at the bottom small screws. then you will have two bumper mounts on the front cross member. Just follow the frame up to the front of the Jeep and then feel in front of that. You should find the spots to un bolt.
Old 05-15-2012, 03:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have a job, I just recently left it. But I'm only 17, so parents are paying at the moment.
But thanks! I found them!
But you were right, most of the clips did break but that shouldn't be exspensive to get new ones.
Old 05-15-2012, 05:38 AM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Year: 87
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: 4.0 I6

Nope not expensive. But there is literally no way to work on the jeep without spending money. You always need pb blaster or equivalent. Always replacing rusted bolts. Aleays antisorze or loctite when re installing. Depending on the bolt.

Glad u got you parents though lol
Old 05-15-2012, 07:41 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0

First let me say, very nice looking Limited there. If you haven't already, Here is a site with PDF format Mopar - Chrysler OEM parts catalogs for your year XJ. These are handy because they show exploded views of every thing. Not just for the part numbers.http://www.xjjeeps.com/ And it is FREE.

Last edited by 91 limited owner; 05-15-2012 at 07:43 AM.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0L i6

Originally Posted by 91 limited owner
First let me say, very nice looking Limited there. If you haven't already, Here is a site with PDF format Mopar - Chrysler OEM parts catalogs for your year XJ. These are handy because they show exploded views of every thing. Not just for the part numbers.http://www.xjjeeps.com/ And it is FREE.
The link isnt loading for me...nvr mind must hit during a busy moment. It's working now. Good stuff!!
Old 05-15-2012, 10:00 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by kissthis66
The link isnt loading for me...nvr mind must hit during a busy moment. It's working now. Good stuff!!
Your welcome. I down loaded a copy, and look through a lot.