Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Replacing fenders & header panel question

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 12:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Replacing fenders & header panel question

I posted yesterday in the Ask a question thread but I figured now I should do a thread about it.

Couple days ago I rear ended someone (totally my fault) and I've got a couple esthetic issues with the jeep. Now I know of course it's a jeep and it's normal to have some scratches and everything when it's a trail rig, but since it's my daily driver, I want it as clean as possible.

Right now the lights are not in the right angle and I figured it because the header panel is a little bent in. On top of that, the bumper pushed the fenders and bent them also (I posted a picture below so you can see). Also the bumper is pretty torn. The body shop guy that looked at it told me the frame seemed fine, only the bumper brackets were bent.

So today I called the local auto part store and they quoted me 47$ each fender and 60$ for the header panel. Then I'll have to get the lights and plastic bezels, but that's easier stuff.

So my question is, do you think, by myself or with a buddy, it's do-able to replace the fenders and header panel without too much trouble? I have some tools and I can always borrow some from my dad, but since I've never done this before I have no idea what I'm getting into. And from the looks of it, should I worry about other things under the header panel that could cause some problems when trying to install a new one?

Thanks!

Pic (header panel is cracked on the passenger side and you can see the fender that is bent on the right):

Name:  BZXbzSc.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  52.0 KB

Last edited by Cane; 08-28-2013 at 12:29 PM.
Old 08-28-2013, 02:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

I replaced my header panel a few weeks ago. Maybe 40 mins start to finish. Real easy job.
Old 08-28-2013, 02:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

I helped a friend do this a couple years ago. Super easy.
Old 08-28-2013, 02:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L

Perfect, thanks for the input!