Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Replacing exhaust system, need advice.

Old 02-11-2012, 11:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Replacing exhaust system, need advice.

It's time to replace my old rusty exhaust system, including the catalytic converter and o2 sensor on my 96 XJ. Believe it or not, it's the original system, so I definitely got my moneys worth out of it. Anyhow, I took it to the local Meineke shop to get replaced. I knew I'd pay a bit extra, but I figured it woul be worth it as it's cold out and wrenching in 30 degree weather sucks. Well, when I bring it to get checked out, the quote me a price of $778 installed! I immediately told them no thanks and drove away as fast as I could. At that point, I decided to tackle the project myself. I ordered all the parts from Auto Zone and the total came out to about $350 for a Dynomax cat back, Magnaflow catalytic converter and NGK o2 sensor.

My question is how difficult is it to replace these? I'm pretty good with tools, but I have to admit I'm a bit intimidated by this project. The one thing I'm really wondering about is removing the old catalytic converter. As I mentioned, it's the original, so I doubt it's going to come off easy, if at all. Should I just cut it off on the manifold side? What about when I put the new one on? Do I need a sleeve to connect the cat converter to the manifold pipe? What about clamps? Are the standard clamps OK or would I be better off with band clamps like these > http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BOR-18004 ? I'll probably post more questions as I think of them, but for now, any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 02-12-2012, 03:18 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO Straight Six

You are more than likely going to be cutting/welding. Even if the catalytic converter was held on by clamps before, the cats have a tendency to naturally weld themselves to the downpipe with how hot they get (hence why you will be cutting). As far as what you'll need, clamps, hangars, and more than likely some exhaust adapters (all of which can be picked up at your local auto parts store)
Old 02-12-2012, 04:37 AM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L

Hi

I am trained exhaust fitter and the tailpipe is not an issue but the cat will involve heat around the joint and cold chisel to remove.
I just replace my OEM system after 15 years with one from E Bay and it cost £100 all in took 1.5 hours to fit most of that time was used heating and grinding the Cat off.

Stuart
Old 02-12-2012, 05:12 AM

Year: 2000 Limited
Engine: 4.0

You will want the special socket for the O2 sensors, $8.00:

http://www.quadratec.com/products/92810_2037.htm