Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Replacing a Blown Engine - Documenting with Pics / Share Advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 03:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Arrow Replacing a Blown Engine - Documenting with Pics / Share Advice

The story goes, I bought this with a slight knock. All vitals were fine. One day I dropped the hammer and it blew, so this is me replacing the engine. I might need some help along the way too, and maybe this will also help others.

Here is the subject: 2000 XJ. 155k miles.

Looks nice, too bad a rod formed an escape route.

Makin' progress

Pretty much ready to pull the block (The battery tray and air box make GREAT tool holders!)

New casting from J&C enterprises.

New short block from a local engine builder: Shreves

Here's a good place to store all the stuff to put back on (its a lot more full now)

The front seat is housing all the new parts

Rock Auto magnet I get with the parts

My side work station

It's pretty cramped in here. 16" Moab's waiting to go on.

Some goon who thinks he knows what he's doing

Piston remains

This was all in my oil pan

Do you think I should get a new oil pan with all that metal that was in it, or just clean it out really good?

Feel free to offer any other advice as I pull the engine. I think I need to support the transmission with a jack or strap.

Also, since the head is off, I should be able to get to those E12's. I haven't tried yet.
Old 07-08-2013, 03:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jeep looks pretty clean which I am sure makes things a lot easier. I see no real reason to get a new pan unless its destroyed. As long as there aren't metal shavings everywhere it shouldn't be an issue.
Old 07-08-2013, 03:32 PM

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0 i6

When I pulled my old motor I loosened up the transmission and took the motor mounts out so I could drop the whole thing down a little. It helped with getting a wrench on there since before I wasn't able to twist the wrench at all before I hit the firewall. You might have it easier with the head off already.
Old 07-08-2013, 04:45 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony_SS
This was all in my oil pan

is that a rod cap bolt bent to a 45* angle!??!

Thanks for sharing .
Old 07-08-2013, 04:47 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

You got the good rock auto sticker, I've got a refrigerator full of oldsmobiles...

Real clean XJ too!
Old 07-08-2013, 10:25 PM
Banned

Year: 2001

Are you doing all of that work and not stroking it?
Old 07-08-2013, 10:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

That piston isn't so bad, a little JB weld.....
Old 07-09-2013, 04:40 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

Just for reference how much money do you have wrapped up in this repair, including parts?
Old 07-09-2013, 05:13 AM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

Originally Posted by Radi
That piston isn't so bad, a little JB weld.....
X2^ what's the big deal? So it sounds a little rough.

I'm no help except be prepared for some pretty ignorant/cruel engineering. There might be times to walk away, and come back later.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:07 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by motoo344
Jeep looks pretty clean which I am sure makes things a lot easier. I see no real reason to get a new pan unless its destroyed. As long as there aren't metal shavings everywhere it shouldn't be an issue.
I'm looking in the pan and it's like glitter... I'm going to get a new one. $67. I'm not doing all this to get fine metal back into a new engine.

Originally Posted by cherokeelaredo'90
When I pulled my old motor I loosened up the transmission and took the motor mounts out so I could drop the whole thing down a little. It helped with getting a wrench on there since before I wasn't able to twist the wrench at all before I hit the firewall. You might have it easier with the head off already.
With the head off, I should be able to get to them. I havent tried yet, but there appears to be some room to work now. If not, I'll pull the mounts and drop the engine down.

Originally Posted by Pigeon
is that a rod cap bolt bent to a 45* angle!??!

Thanks for sharing .
Yeah! Can you believe that? Ha

Originally Posted by SilverHaze
Are you doing all of that work and not stroking it?
I don't need a stroker.. I just want to get this thing back on the road so I can lift it and have some fun.

Originally Posted by Cherockee
Just for reference how much money do you have wrapped up in this repair, including parts?
$1700 short block (tax in there + no core )
$420 new head
$200 parts so far (I expect to spend another $300)
$100 fluids + misc

So hopefully I can do this for less than $2800 when its all said and done. I could have got a junk yard engine but even they were wanting $1100 for a long block with 100k+ miles.... so why go through all the trouble for that?

Originally Posted by DFlintstone
X2^ what's the big deal? So it sounds a little rough.

I'm no help except be prepared for some pretty ignorant/cruel engineering. There might be times to walk away, and come back later.
It hasn't been all too bad. The monster bolts to hold the inspection cover on were a bit ridiculous LOL. Put with the oil pan off, I can get to the flywheel bolt a LOT easier at least.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:19 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 L/242 CID I-6 High Output MFI

Looks like fun!
Old 07-09-2013, 11:29 AM
Seasoned Member

Hilarious, My Gold(Desert Sand) 2000 has the same thing goin, All filled up with her engine parts. Her engine block is actually in my 84, as I just picked that up from the machine shop this morning with her new cam bearings. My 2000s 213,??? mile 4.0 didnt throw a rod though, just was driven for who knows how long with severly Cracked 0331 head that dumped Tons of coolant, then later I think just straight water into the sump which Fried, I mean Fried the cam bearings. Everything else Is in Better condition than it should be. The crosshatching is still present on all 6 cylinder walls. Ball Hone job, New standard size Moly rings, new lifters, new oil pump, maby new timing chain and gears(though not worn much), and the Big Item replacement,...a 92(7120) cylinder head that has over 30 hours of porting. This is the "Current" Plan...
Old 07-09-2013, 11:44 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1998

Originally Posted by cherokeelaredo'90
Yeah those bolts suck. I had the head off mounts off and had the transmission angled a bit and still couldn't get at them. We ended up disassembling the shift housing and using several extensions to finally get them out.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:47 AM
Seasoned Member

When I had to take out the e Torx bolts I had LONG extensions and a wobble and did it from under neith as a buddy guided it from above. Also heard a shorty wrench can do it
Old 07-09-2013, 12:37 PM
CF Veteran

I forgot to update, in order to get the oil pan off, I had to remove the front steering stabilizer and raise the body up a couple inches (since I don't have a lift) and I was able to drop the pan.

Also, I will update how I removed the e12 bolts. Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Quick Reply: Replacing a Blown Engine - Documenting with Pics / Share Advice