Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Replaced cam-no spark

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 09:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Replaced cam-no spark

I had another thread going here but I felt it was necessary to start a new one as the "no spark issue" is different from a collapsed lifter and grenaded cam.

I recently replaced the cam and lifters in my 2000 xj with stock replacements; which involved me tearing everything apart and then putting it back together. I changed the fluids and then disconnected the coil pack/spark plugs and kicked it over for a while to prime the system. I reconnected the coils and tried to start it and nothing....

After checking the connection and making sure everything lined up correctly, I removed the coil pack and a couple plugs. Once removed, I put the plugs back in and kicked it over and still nothing-no spark to the plugs.

Here are a couple things I did while putting everything back together (please see pics)

1. Relocated the firewall ground from the rear-most head stud to one closer to the middle of the head which is easier to access

2. There was a wire connection on the head just above the cam sensor/distributor looking thing that I didn't know was there when I removed the head and broke the wire from the connector. I figured it was just a ground so a removed the connector and just reconnnected straight to the bolt
coming off the head. Is this the issue?

3. Removed and repositioned the cam sensor with a toothpick at what I thought was TDC. Would it make spark even if it was out 180 or way off?

4. Noticed another block ground at the resent passenger side block near the other ground. It is covered in oil-could this cause an issue?

Please HELP!!!

Old 05-06-2017, 08:59 PM

I'm at a complete loss here. I installed and reinstalled the cam sensor unit per recommendations three times. I replaced the cps with a new unit, installed a brand new coil pack, and bought a new battery. Still no spark. I'm at a complete loss here and have no idea what the problem is and I'm losing my mind redoing everything over and over.

A couple of things to note.

After the new cam-I have yet to put the front grill/light assembly on. Would that be an issue?

There is a slight gas leak from the mount/bolt assembly which mounts the fuel line to the intake manifold. Would that cause no spark?

I have cranked on the engine for 12-14 seconds periods which gave me a "check gauges" light and a "CEL" but everything then goes away and doesn't prompt a code. Is this normal?

PLEASE HELP
Old 05-06-2017, 09:05 PM

Additionally-I only have the valet key. I have heard that the security system might not allow a spark or shut of the ignition; is this true?
Old 05-06-2017, 11:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 333 Likes on 277 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

Start over, just to be sure. Line up the TDC mark on the balancer and timing cover and confirm you are on the compression stroke for cylinder #1. Then stab it again. Like said, just to be sure.
Old 05-07-2017, 06:23 AM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000
Engine: 4.0

valet key shouldn't be the problem as it will run like normal for valet guys. the valet key should only work in the door and ignition, not the glove box or hatch.

what is the green wire in the pic, is that the cam sensor wire you mentioned that you attached to the bolt? cam sensor should go from dizzy thing to the harness. i think you should buy a new cam sensor and install properly. this will definitely give you a no spark. it is the same thing essentially as the crank sensor, and will usually give the same code.
Old 05-07-2017, 08:01 AM
CF Veteran

Received 170 Likes on 158 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 4.0, new lifters valve job with new springs and exhaust valves, preload set with shims

What is the thing next to the cam sensor, a knock sensor? That green ground wire looks wrong. Looks like a black wire coming up from the knock sensor that you connected a green ground to. That would likely take out the B+ to all your sensors maybe the cam sensor too. Stop throwing new parts at it and get in there with a volt meter see if the sensors have power with the key on. Yes the cam sensor being wrong will cause a no start and that could be part of the problem but I would first verify voltages to the cam sensor and IAT< MAP CTS and TPS. And find out what that wire is you took to a ground.
Old 05-07-2017, 09:23 AM

The green wire comes from the harness just to the left of the cam sensor. There is a bolt and connector/sensor looking thing Just above the cam sensor on the head. I did not see it there when I removed the head and I broke it. I thought it was a ground so I just fixed the wire and reattached it to the bolt. I will post a pic of the male part of the connector that broke. I can't find the female piece but hopefully you guys can tell from the pic
Old 05-07-2017, 09:29 AM

Here is the connector that broke and I can't find the other piece. I can't find anywhere online describing what this is but I found it in a video. My finger is pointing to it
Old 05-08-2017, 09:14 PM

Sooo here's where I'm at today.

with the key on and the sensors (cps,cps) removed, here are the readings I got:

Crank position sensor: 5.14/0/5.14volts. I'm pretty sure the middle wire is a ground

Cam position sensor: 5.29 and 5.40 volts. I think the middle wire was a ground

coil pack/brick: zero volts across all tongs in the key on position and .17 across the tongs when the starter is turned on. Could this be an issue and does this sound right?

I purchased a fancy OBD II reader today and I got the following codes:

P0122 TPS voltage low
P0340 No camshaft reference present at the PCM

what would you recommend for next steps? I believe the lack of voltage at key on and key start for the coil is an issue. I unplugged the brand new coil pack and tested the OHMs and it checked out alright.
Old 05-09-2017, 07:42 AM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0, new lifters valve job with new springs and exhaust valves, preload set with shims

I was going to comment here but so many issues raised....I would say the OBD codes will point you in the right direction, the fact you have 2 of them could be inter related. Meaning if you hosed up the wiring for one it might have hosed the other as well. You need a field service manual for that xj and wiring diagrams. This is a sample one only. No signal from the cam sensor will mean a no start for sure. I would start there. If this was in my garage I'd tear into it with ya no prob but just too hard like this. Good luck ,

Last edited by 97grand4.0; 05-09-2017 at 08:13 AM.
Old 05-09-2017, 09:18 AM
CF Veteran

Old 05-10-2017, 09:46 AM

Thanks 97. I didn't have the chance to tear into it last night as we had dinner arrangements but I did get the chance to replace the amazon bought cam sensor with a dorman unit and it cleared the po340 code. That's all I was able to do. Still no spark but I'll look at it in depth tonight
Old 05-10-2017, 02:01 PM
CF Veteran

Geesh I hate to say this but jeeps do not like aftermarket cam and crank sensors at all. I had very bad luck with replacing my cam sensor 2x with autozone parts, (different than yours is) ended up putting the original one back in with 160k on it and it worked. Only reason I replaced it was it was physically broke. Ended up pulling a mopar one from the bone yard and its been flawless since.
Also in your case it seems the problem may have to do with the wiring errors rather than the part. But try it, even my aftermarket worked for a short while. And by that I mean about a week before acting up.