Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Remedial course on 4x parts and lifting

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 07:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Default Remedial course on 4x parts and lifting

I've scoured the site, but can't find a link or write up on 4x parts, function, and lifting. Sure I've seen the 'Newbie's read this' (and I have) and the 'read this if you're considering a lift' (and I have). Problem is that I need to start from the beginning...all the way back. I'm a mechanically inclined fella who came from a "wow...uner the hood is magic" kind of family, so I'm getting a late start. Unfortunately I don't have anyone near me to walk me through the rudimentary stuff...so I'm coming here for help.

As I plan for a lift (just enough to put 31s under and minimal cutting I suppose. no plans for serious off roading, but back roads for sure. It is first and foremost a DD so the handling must be top shelf, but I'm also looking to balance the cost, since I'm low dime too), I've found discussions on different kits, but I have no idea what half the stuff is that follows. . Seriously, I know that there are springs in the front and leafs in the rear, but that is the extent of it. I have no idea what an AAL is, shackles, BB, and all of the other stuff you fellas (and ladies too) refer too. I'll consult that list of abbreviations again, but would also like a link to a nice, 'explain it all like I'm a 3rd grader' site.

I'm sure you get inundated with Newbie's asking this same question over and over again. I'm not looking to get on your nerves, but I'd love to learn so I can be that guy on the forum everyone looks to for answers (don't hold your breath).

Hand holding gladly accepted,
s
Old 12-10-2008, 07:17 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L renix

get a piece of cardboard and lay under your jeep for 10 min.
look around.
then come back and ask some questions
Old 12-10-2008, 07:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by smtippin
I've scoured the site, but can't find a link or write up on 4x parts, function, and lifting. Sure I've seen the 'Newbie's read this' (and I have) and the 'read this if you're considering a lift' (and I have). Problem is that I need to start from the beginning...all the way back. I'm a mechanically inclined fella who came from a "wow...uner the hood is magic" kind of family, so I'm getting a late start. Unfortunately I don't have anyone near me to walk me through the rudimentary stuff...so I'm coming here for help.

As I plan for a lift (just enough to put 31s under and minimal cutting I suppose. no plans for serious off roading, but back roads for sure. It is first and foremost a DD so the handling must be top shelf, but I'm also looking to balance the cost, since I'm low dime too), I've found discussions on different kits, but I have no idea what half the stuff is that follows. . Seriously, I know that there are springs in the front and leafs in the rear, but that is the extent of it. I have no idea what an AAL is, shackles, BB, and all of the other stuff you fellas (and ladies too) refer too. I'll consult that list of abbreviations again, but would also like a link to a nice, 'explain it all like I'm a 3rd grader' site.

I'm sure you get inundated with Newbie's asking this same question over and over again. I'm not looking to get on your nerves, but I'd love to learn so I can be that guy on the forum everyone looks to for answers (don't hold your breath).

Hand holding gladly accepted,
s
3" lift

http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep_xj_3.html
Old 12-10-2008, 07:21 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1997

Drive your Jeep where you think you'll be offroading first and see what it can do stock. That's the best advice someone gave me. Get it stuck, get a buddy to pull you out then think about what happened, how you got stuck and what size lift or tires would have helped you in that situation.

Hit the trails with a few friends who have mods done to their rigs and see how a mod'ed rig performs compared to a stock rig.

And mostly... keep reading as much as you can and doing your research on what you want to learn about. Just remember cheaper isn't always better.
Old 12-10-2008, 07:22 PM
Seasoned Member

And stay away from any AAL or (add a leaf) lift kit. Replace those rear leaf springs when you do your lift with new ones that give you lift. Add a leaf kits add a helper leaf to your existing factory leaf springs and if they are already sagging in the rear... it won't be worth it.
Old 12-10-2008, 07:23 PM
CF Veteran

every thing you need right there with instructions Price: $255.95
Attached Images  
Old 12-10-2008, 07:26 PM
CF Veteran

double the money and get this one
better lift $609.95
Attached Images  
Old 12-10-2008, 07:27 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by mike37
double the money and get this one
better lift $609.95
X2

You'll thank us for the advice in the long run.
Old 12-10-2008, 07:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1987
Model: Wagoneer

how much you wanna spend? what kinda driving? do you know the look you want?
Old 12-10-2008, 07:28 PM
Seasoned Member

Rough Country is decent entry level stuff. If you call them directly, they have EVERYTHING that they sell to the public on sale right now too up to 30% off.
Old 12-10-2008, 07:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992, 2- 1998 (All 3, 4 Doors)
Engine: 4.0L in all

Starters, welcome to CF!

For 31's, you're looking at 3" of lift.
AAL - Add A Leaf, Just as it sounds, the lift kit gives you 1 more leaf to put in your existing leaf spring packs.
Shackles are nothing but the attaching flex point that one side of your leaf springs attach to.
BB - I'll let the other who have more experience on the subject explain this one.

If you have anymore questions, just ask or shoot me a PM (private message) and I'll do what I can to help ya out...
Old 12-10-2008, 07:33 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by BowtieGuy3
Starters, welcome to CF!

AAL - Add A Leaf, Just as it sounds, the lift kit gives you 1 more leaf to put in your existing leaf spring packs.
Shackles are nothing but the attaching flex point that one side of your leaf springs attach to.
BB - I'll let the other who have more experience on the subject explain this one.

If you have anymore questions, just ask or shoot me a PM (private message) and I'll do what I can to help ya out...
i dont want to pm you but can you tell me which came first? the chicken or the egg?
Old 12-10-2008, 07:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992, 2- 1998 (All 3, 4 Doors)
Engine: 4.0L in all

Originally Posted by 76ANTHONY
i dont want to pm you but can you tell me which came first? the chicken or the egg?
True.
Old 12-10-2008, 07:35 PM
CF Veteran

True.
lmao
Old 12-10-2008, 08:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 90

Starters, welcome to CF!

BB just means Budget Boost.... Its simply slang for the entire lower end of the lifting spectrum. Supposedly cheaper and easier to install than larger and more complex lift systems. Most of the commercially available Budget Boosts contain spacers for the front coil springs and either Blocks(Worst), Shackles(Really bad) or a 'Short' AAL(bad) or Long AAL(really not bad if done correctly) for the rear lift. Longer shocks are generally not part of these types of lifts as the stock ones have enough travel to compensate.

Quick Reply: Remedial course on 4x parts and lifting