Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Rear Yoke Pinion question

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 08:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Thumbs up Rear Yoke Pinion question

Hey my jeep people, i have a 92 cherokee limited and i need to get a new rear yoke pinion for the rear differential, but i keep hearing that the yoke comes in 2 different sizes for mine. So i was basically wondering if anyone here knows what size the rear yoke comes in a stock size? I'm pretty much thinking it's 8.25 inch for sure but i'm not too sure. But if anyone on here can help me out, that would be awesome so i can get my Cherokee back out on the road for the winter time. And i'm also sure that anything from an 84-01 jeep would work so does that mean i can use 1 from any of those years. But yea someone please help me out here that would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks
Old 09-13-2010, 10:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000
Engine: 4.0

you'll need to know what rear axle you have.
most likely it's the d35, but you need to be sure.
post a pic of the rear axle (pumpkin) so we can tell you what one you have.

why do you need a new one? they don't usually fail. unless you snapped off a strap bolt.

but know this, you have a crush sleeve behind that yoke, so make sure you know how to torque it down properly. tighten it too much, and you'll have to basically rebuild your axle.
Old 09-14-2010, 12:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

alright cool i checked..i do have the dana 35 axle like u mentioned. I need a new one cuz yes one of the strap bolts broke and where u bolt it in on the strap, it busted off the one corner of the yoke itself. It was old and rusted out bad. Ok cool ...ummm i haven't yet bought a haynes manual for my jeep but if u know of the proper torque procedure for the crush sleeve behind the yoke like u said or do u recommend i just read up on it in the haynes manual? I'd rather hear it from an experienced jeep driver like urself. Thanks for ur help man...and i'll be sure to post up the finished product.