Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

rear speaker wires

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 08:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default rear speaker wires

So last week I ordered 6 speakers online ( 2 for fry doors, 2 for sound bar and 2 for back hatch assuming there were vents for all 3 so there were speakers in all three) .they came in the mail today and i started installing all was great then I started tearing apart the back hatch breaking about half the clips just to look inside and find there's no speakers in there ( what a surprise) and no wires I've already got the speakers so there going in one way or another . My question is there a wiring harness somewhere in the area on my jeep to run speaker wire from or should I just splice into the wires in the soundbar and run them through the hatch.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:49 PM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000

back drivers side corner tucked tight in the roofline, if hatch speakers were an option. there should be a wire loom/harness that goes into the top of the hatch.
if not, you may have to splice into the soundbar wires.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:59 PM

Thanks every time I try to do any work on this thing its Murphy's law every time if something doesn't break taking it apart I promise either parts are missing from where I thought they were or bolts and screws mysteriously disappear that I had in my hand 20 min ago
Old 04-02-2012, 09:02 PM

By the way you wouldn't possibly know what colors the wires are if they're there so I'm not looking at something else thinking they go to the speakers
Old 04-02-2012, 10:30 PM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L I6

I would triple check to make sure that there are no speaker wire connectors in the hatch area... It would probably be a 4 wire connector.. For example I have the base model Cherokee and have probably 3 or 4 "random" connections in the hatch which are not in use. To test for speaker wires, just put a multimeter on AC volts, turn the stereo up loud, and see what happens! If you get more voltage when louder, etc... Those will be the speaker wires. Honestly, splicing with the soundbar will suck.. Getting a wire through the hatch-to-body braided protection wire thingy could be difficult. (At least on an 89. the system for a 91-96 may be different). And just to add, using some common sense, it would seem that the soundbar-equipped xj's would be higher-line, thus having hatch speakers... But I could be wrong for sure Best of Luck!
Old 04-03-2012, 05:14 AM

Yeah the 95 have the braided protection thing and it will be difficult if i have to try to run wires though it but as a last resort that's what I'm gonna try . I'm gonna take another look today after work hopping that i somehow overlooked some wires somewhere thanks
Old 04-03-2012, 07:38 AM
CF Veteran

i cut into my braided wire loom.
i can't remember exactly what the speaker wire colours are, but i know they're green with black stripe, purple w/bl stripe, and i think grey and possibly yellow...

i might be able to double check for you in a bit.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:02 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998,2001

Don't quote me on this but I am almost 100% sure that they came with only one wiring harness for the back. So if you have a sound bar that means no hatch speakers and if you have hatch speakers no sound bar. I would get "trailer connectors" and tap into the sound bar wires (this is what I plan to do). I have a sound bar and the speaker vents in the hatch but no wires run to the hatch (I took out my headliner so it's easy to tell that there are no wires.) I plan on running 2 soundbars (already moved one up front) and hatch speakers.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:43 PM

Well assuming DrShaggfords post to be true... Behind this panel (drivers side rear panel behind your spare) There are all of the connections for all the rear wires to run up to the front of the vehicle. I would remove this panel (and all the others required for its removal), or at least partially remove it (I didnt want to mess with the seat locking mechanism for the backrest part, so I just pulled it out and had enough room to work [ I have an 89' 2 door so it may be a different situation for yours]) and I would splice it here. It just gives you a nice sized hole and some decent wire play or looseness to work with, as well as the versatility to unplug connectors if necessary for splicing. Just a thought, if anybody has anything better to add please do

Name:  BbIt3swmkKGrHqYOKjoEq4F8pn97BKulUCZJR_35.jpg
Views: 2231
Size:  6.7 KB
Old 04-04-2012, 01:39 AM

Year: 94

My 94 only has door speakers. Should it be wired for speakers in the back?
Old 04-04-2012, 07:01 AM
CF Veteran

should be wired for the hatch.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:36 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998,2001

Originally Posted by EvstaG
Well assuming DrShaggfords post to be true... Behind this panel (drivers side rear panel behind your spare) There are all of the connections for all the rear wires to run up to the front of the vehicle. I would remove this panel (and all the others required for its removal), or at least partially remove it (I didnt want to mess with the seat locking mechanism for the backrest part, so I just pulled it out and had enough room to work [ I have an 89' 2 door so it may be a different situation for yours]) and I would splice it here. It just gives you a nice sized hole and some decent wire play or looseness to work with, as well as the versatility to unplug connectors if necessary for splicing. Just a thought, if anybody has anything better to add please do

The wires I found were run along the roof channel on the drivers side. I already have those plastics mostly pulled because I'm going to be replacing floors soon. I will have to take a peek back there today and see what I find.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by DrShaggford
The wires I found were run along the roof channel on the drivers side. I already have those plastics mostly pulled because I'm going to be replacing floors soon. I will have to take a peek back there today and see what I find.
Hmm interesting, is this on your 94 or 98? do they go down the a-pillar then? Ive only seen the dome light wires do that. Always learning something new
Old 04-04-2012, 10:00 AM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

DO NOT SPLICE INTO THE SOUNDBAR WIRES!!!! there is a reason they have only those four speakers. you will need to get another/new amplifier to run extra speakers.

to everyone telling him to splice in: have you ever heard of resistance? the speakers are going to be either 4 or 8 ohm, and as soon as you splice the wires and try to run to extra speakers, you'll **** that up and end up blowing something.

if you're going to bother hooking them up at all, do it right and buy an amplifier.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by arorton
DO NOT SPLICE INTO THE SOUNDBAR WIRES!!!! there is a reason they have only those four speakers. you will need to get another/new amplifier to run extra speakers.

to everyone telling him to splice in: have you ever heard of resistance? the speakers are going to be either 4 or 8 ohm, and as soon as you splice the wires and try to run to extra speakers, you'll **** that up and end up blowing something.

if you're going to bother hooking them up at all, do it right and buy an amplifier.
I am skeptical you are aware how resistance works... For example- four 4 ohm resistance speakers will have a resistance of either 8 ohms or 16 ohms when spliced... Now obviously wiring these in series is probably the poorer of the two choices for this endeavour, considering he only has his head unit to power his speakers. I don't see the issue with your HU having 8 ohms of resistance. I currently have 8 speakers hooked up (amped mind you) and I would consider myself a reasonable audio connoisseur, and I find my system sounds great! (minus the XJ rattles obviously) I am just curious as to where your thoughts are founded for the capitalized warning.

Quick Reply: rear speaker wires