Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Rear-hatch wiring?

Old 04-15-2016, 10:07 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1987 Wagoneer XJ Limited
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: 4.0
Default Rear-hatch wiring?

Need wiring-diagram to sort-out the tangled-web-of-wires! Help?

Old 04-19-2016, 08:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee

Any luck?
Old 04-20-2016, 04:40 PM
Seasoned Member

Default Thanks for asking!

First... It appears all the wires from the wiring-harness are now connected.

Everything works... Although I can't test the latch lock/un-lock as the overhead receiver is disconnected. Observation is that the wires from the latch are a smaller gauge than the three wires shown.

These three wires/connectors come from the hatch-harness and return into the hatch harness. As you can see they are not the typical connector type. They are the same in appearance to the defogger connectors... But a tad smaller in diameter.

Help any?

Old 04-20-2016, 07:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

What year? It's not the waggy in your profile. The wiring changes year over year.
Old 04-20-2016, 07:46 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by wizardpc
What year? It's not the waggy in your profile. The wiring changes year over year.

I had to check my profile! I have a "little" Waggy. 1987 Wagoneer(Cherokee) XJ Limited.
Old 04-20-2016, 10:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh my mistake! I saw the big one in the pic and my brain instantly went "woodgrain=xj wagoneer, so that's got to be a different xj"

You got a minime! That's completely awesome. (and I don't know anything about the renix xjs, so I'm out)
Old 04-21-2016, 06:42 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by wizardpc
Oh my mistake! I saw the big one in the pic and my brain instantly went "woodgrain=xj wagoneer, so that's got to be a different xj"

You got a minime! That's completely awesome. (and I don't know anything about the renix xjs, so I'm out)
Hey... At least you know about Renix... Kudos!
Old 04-22-2016, 12:26 AM

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Year: 1988

Note from DJ
I have an 88XJ and I was able to find a copy of the original electrical manual on E-Bay. After looking up the rear hatch electrical page and locating a spare but broken lenses RR tail light. Here is my thought on your two remaining connectors.

It appears AMC provided electrical connectors in that area for a remote lice plate light. One male connector which is probably your black [black is normally a ground color] wire connector and one female connector which is probably your two blue wire connector since blue appears to be the right color for the tail light bulb.

If you have power between the blue wire connector and a good ground when you turn on your lights that is probably why; if that is what you find I would wrap that connector with some electrical tape even though the hatch is fiberglass and not likely to come in contact with any ground other than the loose black wire connector.

I hope this information is of some help
Old 04-22-2016, 05:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989

On my '89 Waggy the black with two blue wires are for a third brake light. I made the mistake of connecting them and blew a fuse for the running lights.
Old 01-03-2017, 08:50 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Crist Clapper
I think I've covered are your suggestions... Here's where I am... All are connected/working except these pesky two:
1) The two-blue are hot when parking-lights on.
2) The black can be used as a ground to the blue(s).
3) I can't activate the on/off latch. I understand the driver's door lock-up/down controls the hatch-latch?

Will the latch activate with the hatch is open?

I read earlier in this thread there are specific diagrams for the lift-gate electric latch. Unfortunately I couldn't find it at Autozone or Google-search. Help?
Old 01-04-2017, 08:35 AM

Note from DJ to Crist
In your first photo there are a tan wire and a light green wire. The tan wire is the lock connector wire for your latch motor and the light green connector is the unlock wiring to your power latch motor I think.
See diagram below. Hope this helps.

Old 01-04-2017, 09:01 AM
Seasoned Member

Thanks! I'm anxious to check this out on my XJ.

Originally Posted by djgrayxj
Note from DJ to Crist
In your first photo there are a tan wire and a light green wire. The tan wire is the lock connector wire for your latch motor and the light green connector is the unlock wiring to your power latch motor I think.
See diagram below. Hope this helps.

Old 01-04-2017, 02:37 PM

Note from DJ
Crist take a test light and attach the alligator clip to one of the connectors then place the tip of the test light into the other connector.

Then hit your door lock switch while looking at the test light. The light [I hope] will light no matter which way you flip the switch. All the switch dose is reverse the polarity.

If you need more information post back; I have a two page fold out diagram in my 88 Electrical Manual that I can place on my copper one half at a time and copy that has the different connector in this circuit and there locations. But it will take me some time to do this. All the information that I need is do you have that mister dome receiver for the key fob door lock-unlock. My manual has a separate diagram for each.

The one I posted covers either option on one page.
Old 01-04-2017, 02:48 PM
Seasoned Member

Default rking

I am at the garage working on this now... Thanks to your diagram I was able to trace the wires to the functioning ACTUATOR! I was working on the wrong thing. Turns out the two wires I have been working on connect directly to the latch... Not the actuator. So... The question now is... What do the two wires (black & gray) used for on the latch?

Originally Posted by djgrayxj
Note from DJ
Crist take a test light and attach the alligator clip to one of the connectors then place the tip of the test light into the other connector.

Then hit your door lock switch while looking at the test light. The light [I hope] will light no matter which way you flip the switch. All the switch dose is reverse the polarity.

If you need more information post back; I have a two page fold out diagram in my 88 Electrical Manual that I can place on my copper one half at a time and copy that has the different connector in this circuit and there locations. But it will take me some time to do this. All the information that I need is do you have that mister dome receiver for the key fob door lock-unlock. My manual has a separate diagram for each.

The one I posted covers either option on one page.
Old 01-04-2017, 06:35 PM
Seasoned Member

Default UPDATE:

I finally found the wires I was looking for. BUT, now there two more! See attachment:

Name:  Latch%20-%20Round%202.png
Views: 8037
Size:  673.6 KB

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear-hatch wiring?