Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Rear-end noise discovered.

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 03:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 94 XJ
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Rear-end noise discovered.

Since I installed the 3" lift leafs and Monroe Sensa-Trac shocks, I have been having a rattle/thump when hitting minor bumps in the road at speeds.

I have tried everything. Re-torqued the spring bolts, u-bolts, shock bolts but I could not pinpoint the problem.

Gets rather unnerving as most of the roads I drive are nowhere near smooth, and the factory stereo can only mask so much noise.

TODAY: Under advice from a fellow-XJ owner, I replaced the NEW Monroe Sensa-Trac shocks. I originally thought it was the upper mounts as I have had to use the "longer bolt down from top" mod because of snapped shock bolts. But upon triple-checking all the connections, everything was tight.

I removed the Monroes and took it for a quick spin around the block (I DO NOT recommend this) It was whisper quiet.

Came home and went to install the Gabriels I got from A/Z. But they were almost an inch shorter at full extension.
Time for a few more nuts to use as spacers. The bolts I used originally were way too long, but I decided to keep them, YA KNOW---Just in case.

THAT proved to be one of the best ideas I had. Extra nuts threaded onto these bolts took up the missing inch. Now everything is back to where its supposed to be.

My question to the forum: Has anyone else had noisy NEW shocks??
Old 10-05-2008, 04:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

I have some of rusty's and they make the same noise. I am thinking I might have got some that are a little too short for my lift so I am going to order some that are longer and see how that goes.